Broody Hen Thread!

I left my eggs at room tempature for about a day think if I try and make an incubator some may hatch. Also what tempature do I set the eggs at for the last few days before hatching?

Thanks London Hens for your input. I have figured out that she's getting off the nest around noon each day. I'm find a HUGE poop everyday in the run. And I can tell that she's eating/drinking. She's in her own little pen. I'm very excited and hope she hatches a few.
fl.gif

Here's a picture of my broody with her head showing this time :)

Beautiful hen, I really would love to have some speckled sussex one day.
My broody has just hatched 6 Light sussex.

I have my broody and her 6 week old chicks confined to their own space in my coop. This morning I found an egg! Is she done with her chicks?
She's done being broody, but each hen is different about when they leave their chicks completely. Ours stayed with them 'full time' for 8 wks, though the last week we noticed her correcting them more and letting them forage on their own further from her most of the time. After week 8 she started treating them more like flock mates and she began laying eggs again. Unless you are worried about danger to the chicks I'd say it's time to let mamma hen decide if she wants to remain with them or go back to normal coop/flock life.

She's done being broody, but each hen is different about when they leave their chicks completely. Ours stayed with them 'full time' for 8 wks, though the last week we noticed her correcting them more and letting them forage on their own further from her most of the time. After week 8 she started treating them more like flock mates and she began laying eggs again. Unless you are worried about danger to the chicks I'd say it's time to let mamma hen decide if she wants to remain with them or go back to normal coop/flock life.
Thanks for the help

I had a broody hen that was sitting on 12 eggs as some looked well developed. Well, a few days before the hatch date she stopped sitting on them. I didn't have an incubator but I kept the eggs a little above room tempature for 2 days. She hasn't givens any eggs yet and I thought if I put the eggs back in. Nest box maybe, just maybe she may return to the nest and hatch at least one egg. I really wanted some easter chicks and this is her 2nd time trying to be a mom (1st time didn't go to well). Anyone think this is possible or am I just wasting my time and hope?

Have 5 broody hens sitting on nests....problem..cannot let mamas and chicks free range because past experience is they come up one chick less until no more chicks.....hen went from 9 to 4 -- I finally built a private area for them....I will eventually put ALL chicks(when they can leave mothers) in a LARGE yard protected from predators.. what to do with them till then....can 3 hens with their chicks live in peace in one large area? will they fight and kill the chicks? cannot have that...can seperate 2...wish I could just chance it and let them free range but?????? help will ONE or TWO hens accept all chicks?

I have heard of keeping eggs with only 1 day to go in shirt pockets, arm pits (really!) and other warm places. Think that would be better than room temp.
Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom