Broody Hen Thread!

Kingsfarm-
chicks hatched within 1 week of each other have done well for me being confined together.
I do keep the chicks segregated from the flock until and 8-10 weeks at least. Depends on what size the chicks are (my RIWs are HUGE) and what size the hens are, and the flock temperament.

chillin, two of the hens WILL hatch close to each others date..maybe a third...will all three mamas and chicks survie living together in a large area? these are not first timers and they guard their chicks well....what to do...

chillin,  two of the hens WILL hatch close to each others date..maybe a third...will all three mamas and chicks survie living together in a large area?  these are not first timers and they guard their chicks well....what to do...

I would watch out for them fighting over chicks.

I would watch out for them fighting over chicks.
Definately, my two broodies both hatched chicks at the same time, and I've had to keep them separate, they were fighting each other everytime either one got near to a chick, it was awful to watch.

First baby pipped!
love.gif

Mama is busy clucking to her peeping babies, this is my favorite part of the hatch! I'm so excited!
big_smile.png
But hands off until tomorrow morning...
barnie.gif
I'm so impatient!
gig.gif

wee.gif
i see an empty shell!!!!!!
jumpy.gif
....... mama doesn't want me near so i just took a look from a distance... I'm so happy.....

only i notice she has blood in her head... i wonder if the rooster peck at her, i don't want to bother her right now, i think i should live her alone until all her babes hatch, I'll just put the rooster to sleep early.... or am i wrong?? I'm a total newbie so any advice is appreciated....

wee.gif
i see an empty shell!!!!!!
jumpy.gif
....... mama doesn't want me near so i just took a look from a distance... I'm so happy.....

only i notice she has blood in her head... i wonder if the rooster peck at her, i don't want to bother her right now, i think i should live her alone until all her babes hatch, I'll just put the rooster to sleep early.... or am i wrong?? I'm a total newbie so any advice is appreciated....

Is she by herself or with other hens? If you can see it, my girl has dried blood on her comb. Before I moved her into the "nursery" (stock tank with a nest, food and water) the other hens would pick on her when she was in the communal nesting boxes. If your broody is on the floor, maybe she was pecked by the roo, but who knows! If she doesn't like you near her I'd leave her be - I've been lucky that my mama is very friendly! If she and the roo/other hens are in the same area, I would separate her from the others somehow while her babies hatch and even after as well so the other hens/roo can't get to them.

Is she by herself or with other hens? If you can see it, my girl has dried blood on her comb. Before I moved her into the "nursery" (stock tank with a nest, food and water) the other hens would pick on her when she was in the communal nesting boxes. If your broody is on the floor, maybe she was pecked by the roo, but who knows! If she doesn't like you near her I'd leave her be - I've been lucky that my mama is very friendly! If she and the roo/other hens are in the same area, I would separate her from the others somehow while her babies hatch and even after as well so the other hens/roo can't get to them.

it's just the roo, i have a cage i can put him in so i don't bother my broody.... he is usually a gentleman but i guess he can also be an a**h** when I'm not looking. and I'm assuming since she already somehow got some blood on the head now is for sure he will pick her if i don't separate him.
little bit of jail time is a small price to pay to be a roo-father (assuming his egg hatch)

it's just the roo, i have a cage i can put him in so i don't bother my broody.... he is usually a gentleman but i guess he can also be an a**h** when I'm not looking. and I'm assuming since she already somehow got some blood on the head now is for sure he will pick her if i don't separate him.
little bit of jail time is a small price to pay to be a roo-father (assuming his egg hatch)

I would seperate him for a bit, just to be on the safe side
smile.png
If you plan on raising the chicks with the roo, I would keep him where he can see the chicks and mama, maybe put her in the cage where he can see her? Then, in a few days you can let them together and hopefully he will be used to them. And if he isn't, mama will beat him up until he is!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom