Broody Hen Thread!

Hi, all!

I have a bantam Ameraucana hen setting on her 8 tiny blue eggs (10 few days ago, but I found broken shells near her yesterday morning and suspect she ate them...?). I have no idea how long she has been on the eggs. I thought a fox got her, as I hadn't seen her for about four days, and only off and on for a couple weeks before that. I lifted a wheelbarrow in the barn, and there she was on her little nest. Fearing a fox would get her and because it has been cold again here in NH - spring is trying, but hasn't quite made it - I moved her into a big dog crate and have secluded her in the coop. She never flinched when I moved her, nest and all, and has been merrily turning her eggs ever since. I have her rigged up with a bunny water bottle and her own food so the other hens and roos don't bother her. Now I suppose I wait.

My concern is that it has been cold! I don't know how long she has been sitting on these eggs, and I don't want to bug her to candle them (she tolerates me, but gets nervous when I poke around under her). For all I know they froze before she started sitting. She is only 10 months old, so it's her first time around, but I want to just let her be and see what happens. If the eggs don't hatch in 21 days, should I shoo her off the nest or will she just vacate on her own? This is my first time around, too! Any advice would be welcome!

:)
I wouldn't be too worried about her. I had 2 5 month old banty hens go broody on me when the weather was -26 with windchill! It got a little warmer than that later on, but they did just fine cold weather and all! Both hens hatched about 2 days late, which could have been caused by the cold weather, but the chicks were all healthy!

I have a broody silkie who has decided she wants to sit in the RUN on the COLD SAND. She has never liked laying in the coop. Any ideas on where to move her, how, etc? I want her to sit, but I want her and the babies to be safe too.

They should be fine just make sure she gets off the nest for a little bit to actually to do that. Haha no one likes accidents like that.

Ok hanks for always answering my questions! I just candled them today the third day and 2 out of the four i am positive are alive! But one is pouris, so I couldn't tell know and the other one I wasn't really seeing anything! Anyways how long can she stay off the nest before they die? Or does she always know when to go back its not like she'll just quit, right?

I have a broody silkie who has decided she wants to sit in the RUN on the COLD SAND. She has never liked laying in the coop. Any ideas on where to move her, how, etc? I want her to sit, but I want her and the babies to be safe too.
you can try placing her in a large box or plastic dog crate or large cat crate with an inch of sand/sawdust mix and maybe some straw in the back for her 'nest area'. Leave that out in the run as long as it is strongly fenced enough to protect her from predators. She may just be trying to avoid other hens in the coop who may bother her on the nest and she feels she doesn't have any other option, or she may like the sand itself.

If your run is secure then just give her a nice big box like above and on cold nights you can throw a blanket over the box leaving just a small opening. She should be fine as long as she is safe from predators, dry and out of direct wind.

you can try placing her in a large box or plastic dog crate or large cat crate with an inch of sand/sawdust mix and maybe some straw in the back for her 'nest area'. Leave that out in the run as long as it is strongly fenced enough to protect her from predators. She may just be trying to avoid other hens in the coop who may bother her on the nest and she feels she doesn't have any other option, or she may like the sand itself.

If your run is secure then just give her a nice big box like above and on cold nights you can throw a blanket over the box leaving just a small opening. She should be fine as long as she is safe from predators, dry and out of direct wind.

Ok thanks! I will try that :)

Omg! Omg! I may have a broody! She's been on 1 egg for an hour and refuses to get out of the wagon. She pecked my son because he tried to touch her lol. IF she is broody I can add eggs at night right? I have a clutch due to hatch in 2 days...could I put the babies under her? Or should I use a brooder?

Omg! Omg! I may have a broody! She's been on 1 egg for an hour and refuses to get out of the wagon. She pecked my son because he tried to touch her lol. IF she is broody I can add eggs at night right? I have a clutch due to hatch in 2 days...could I put the babies under her? Or should I use a brooder?

Check by tomorrow if she is still there you could place the chicks at night just keep an eye on them throughout the day.

I HAVE A BROODY HEN THAT JUST HATCHED OUT 17 NEW BABY CHICKS, SHE SAT ON 18 EGGS AND ALL BUT ONE HATCHED. THIS IS THE MOST MY HENS HAVE EVER HATCHED OUT. I JUST HAVE A BARNYARD MIX AND THEY LAY ALMOST EVERYDAY, COULDN'T ASK FOR ANY BETTER CHICKENS, I JUST HOPE SHE IS ABLE TO RAISE ALL OF THEM, THERE ARE SO MANY I AM WORRIED ABOUT HER MASHING SOME. MY HUSBAND AND I GOT HER OUT OF HER HIDDEN NEST IN THE BARN AFTER IT TURNED DARK AND PUT THEM IN A LARGE BROODER ALONG WITH HER. I WAS AFRAID A SNAKE MIGHT GET THEM IF I JUST LET HER STAY AND TRY TO RAISE THEM IN THE YARD. I AM SO EXCITED OVER THIS HATCH.

I wouldn't be too worried about her. I had 2 5 month old banty hens go broody on me when the weather was -26 with windchill! It got a little warmer than that later on, but they did just fine cold weather and all! Both hens hatched about 2 days late, which could have been caused by the cold weather, but the chicks were all healthy!

This is wonderful news to read! Thanks for your input. I feel like a nervous mother, but I'm glad to hear she's probably doing what she needs to do all on her own. :)

Hi everyone! I have a RIR broody and she was sitting on unfertilized eggs for 3 days. I felt bad for her wanting to be a momma so I called my neighbor up and asked if she had any fertilized eggs and she did! YAY! So today I made a box nest with some hay inside a medium size dog grate (fence) whatever you call it put her some food and water out and waited for night time. I put the fertilized eggs in her box and went to sit her down on them and she hasnt moved! Been about an hour. I have a feeling she is going to be mad lol. I put a tarp around have of the cage to help with wind. I hope im doing this right and I hope she takes to the eggs

Back
Top Bottom