Broody Hen Thread!

I have six eggs in the bator, due to hatch Sept 17. They were under my broody for 2 weeks, but she hatched two chicks, so, it was time to dust it off! My plan for fostering is that the night after they hatch, I'll quickly get them under her. If they are a little bit cold, and she is nice and warm, they should stay under her, shouldn't they? She's a good mom, and I think she was expecting more than 2 chicks - she layed 18 eggs! My only concern is that her chicks are 10&11 days old, so she may not sit on them, although if they can follow her, she sits quite a bit in her pen. Any suggestions?
You can try, but it will have to be closely supervised because of the age difference. I know folks graft hatches but pretty tricky to get them to take that far into it.
Stranger things have happened though, we had a hen leave her babies at 4 wks (actually about normal age, maybe a little early) Those babies were adopted by another broody hen who had a clutch that was just about 10 days old! Now in our situation the hens and chicks were all in the same coop, so the 'orphans' were chicks the other broody had seen. Was cute to see that group together though!

Last edited:
wanted to share Benny and her 8 chicks! (she hatched 5, then I added 3 on Friday) She is the BEST broody! she's never pecked me takes excellent care of the chicks even the ones from the incubator without a thought that they weren't "hers". She even let's us hold the chicks. Now if #10 makes it (9 & 10 from the incubator had/have infected yolk sacs :( , #9 did not make it) I really hope I can intergrate him into the little flock.

I have 4 hens. My barred rock and RIR just sit in coop on my easter eggers eggs or nothing at all. I figued out they must be broody (duh) but why have all but one stopped laying? I have penned them so they r not free ranging so I can keep track of eggs (was afraid my Lab was eating them lol). It is fall here but the weather really hadn't changed b/c I am in Florida. My hens over 1years old and were laying like crazy. Not loosing feathers.....Help!

I go out this morning and check on Lexi, little miss broody, and she's on 7 eggs!! That's since Friday morning! Her first eggs is due to hatch on Thursday, EEEEEK so excited, so I took the 3 new ones away!! Cheeky girl!!

I have 4 hens. My barred rock and RIR just sit in coop on my easter eggers eggs or nothing at all. I figued out they must be broody (duh) but why have all but one stopped laying? I have penned them so they r not free ranging so I can keep track of eggs (was afraid my Lab was eating them lol). It is fall here but the weather really hadn't changed b/c I am in Florida. My hens over 1years old and were laying like crazy. Not loosing feathers.....Help!

Is your question about why they are not laying? Or what to do about the broodies?

You've got them separate and in a nest/coop safely, so if you have a rooster, let them sit it out and hatch. You aren't concerned about weather conditions, so you should have a successful hatch...I've had mine hatch in February and do fine. If you don't have a rooster, then find some fertile eggs to put under them. If no fertile eggs, the next best is day old chicks, but that can be trickier. You may want to segregate the two hens as often they will steal each other's eggs and one may push the other off the nest causing poor hatches for both.

About the non-laying...it is fall and they are 1 years old...my first guess is they are molting...but you say no feathers are being lost. Sometimes the feather loss is not great, but you should see some downy type feathers floating around loose in the yard.

Next guess would be worms. Low egg production is usually the first sign. Next is another health issue.

Egg production does ebb and flow, and fall is often a low season as many birds molt then, depending upon age and conditions.

We would need more information if you need other ideas.
Lady of McCamley

I have six eggs in the bator, due to hatch Sept 17. They were under my broody for 2 weeks, but she hatched two chicks, so, it was time to dust it off! My plan for fostering is that the night after they hatch, I'll quickly get them under her. If they are a little bit cold, and she is nice and warm, they should stay under her, shouldn't they? She's a good mom, and I think she was expecting more than 2 chicks - she layed 18 eggs! My only concern is that her chicks are 10&11 days old, so she may not sit on them, although if they can follow her, she sits quite a bit in her pen. Any suggestions?

I agree with the other poster that this much delay can cause problems. It all depends on the hen, the other chicks, and the newly arriving chicks...your coop set up, weather conditions, etc., etc.

Personally I have had trouble integrating mixed ages....and especially that age range. Mom is up and teaching the older ones at 10 to 11 days of age to be chickens with scratching lessons...she may not want to sit enough for the little ones who need warmth....and they get kicked out of the way by mom as they aren't catching on it is scratching lesson time.

Also they may fear the big scary hen and not want to run to her at first after having been hatched under incubator. My broody stood with her wings spread to welcome fosters under, but some of the fosters were too afraid to go under her and the other older more boisterous chicks made them even more afraid.

Try it. Keep close watch. Have a plan B. If you are able to safely put a heat lamp into the broody coop, that can be a backup warmer for the foster chicks until they integrate. I don't use heat lamps any more (burned a coop down), so from my experience...the best success with fosters is to put same age fosters with the hen that has no other chicks in weather that is not too frigid a shock while they literally warm up to the hen.
Lady of McCamley

I don't have roosters. I haven't seen any worms I us DE in food and run and seven in coop. How would I tell? I am worried about low egg production. I am going to buy a cage so I can separate broody girls. Do they usually stip laying when they r broody?? I have seen one or two feathers laying around yard but not many. My hens seem active and healthy. Thank you for your input. It is Really Appreciated! Only had hens for 16 months. :)

MoodyBroody - The eggs will hatch in 3-4 weeks. That's mid October, & 8 more weeks is mid December. So if you do, it will be cold and you will probably need a heat lamp to help her. Your choice, not hers. She will hatch something if you don't take them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom