Broody Hen Thread!

My blrw is sitting on about 9eggs. She gets off to eat, drink, stretch. But the eggs get pretty cool before she goes back. She's been sitting for about 5 days. She is my first broody that I am letting hatch. Really not sure what to do.
unless it is really cold where you are at or she is off more than 30 or 40 minutes you most likely don't need to worry. The surface of the eggs cool rather quickly but it takes much longer for the inside to do the same. My hens routinely are off for 15 minutes at a time with out problem.

Never mind! She got off to take care of business, and her coop mate immediately hopped in to lay her egg. (she won't lay in the other box) When I went to collect her egg after she laid, there were two of hers, so she must have gotten off of the nest at some point yesterday too. Trying not to over think this, but it's so exciting waiting for chicks! So far she seems to be doing good.

Never mind! She got off to take care of business, and her coop mate immediately hopped in to lay her egg. (she won't lay in the other box) When I went to collect her egg after she laid, there were two of hers, so she must have gotten off of the nest at some point yesterday too. Trying not to over think this, but it's so exciting waiting for chicks! So far she seems to be doing good.

I recommend keeping a close watch, and marking the eggs that have been set if you haven't done so already.

Sometimes communal brooding goes very well; other times not so well as non-broody hens keep laying in the nesting box and the fertile eggs get shuffled about and kicked out or even crushed. Mom has no idea which eggs have been sat on for so long; she'll just sit on whatever is there which can lead to a very staggered and unsuccessful hatch.

If all is going well...no worries. If it seems eggs are constantly in a tussle, try to barricade your broody off from the other hens.

Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD: at least not at the early incubation period...mom knows when eggs are developing, but at the beginning it won't help that some are set at different times than others as that will lead to a badly staggered hatch.

Last edited:
She only has one other hen in with her, and I'm actively trying to integrate her into my other mini flock (4 hens). So far so good, the transplant is free ranging with the other girls, and was dust bathing in their run. She just really wanted back to her old nest box to lay! I don't want to lock her in with the other hens yet, b/c they are chasing her and fighting a bit. I want her in this week, so that my broody is alone for the rest of sitting and for hatching and brooding. It has been easy to get the other eggs out so far, b/c she lays a dark egg that looks completely different from what is being set. I should have moved her out before I gave my broody eggs, hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

She only has one other hen in with her, and I'm actively trying to integrate her into my other mini flock (4 hens). So far so good, the transplant is free ranging with the other girls, and was dust bathing in their run. She just really wanted back to her old nest box to lay! I don't want to lock her in with the other hens yet, b/c they are chasing her and fighting a bit. I want her in this week, so that my broody is alone for the rest of sitting and for hatching and brooding. It has been easy to get the other eggs out so far, b/c she lays a dark egg that looks completely different from what is being set. I should have moved her out before I gave my broody eggs, hindsight is 20/20 I guess.
...and chicken keeping is never flawless...

I am having the same sort of trouble even after having done this for some time...integration and timing is always tricky...I am trying to get my Silkie to cut the apron strings and integrate my 14 week old BCM's into the main flock so that I free up my broody hutch BEFORE I have the broody flu hit...they aren't exactly cooperating but remaining joined at the hip. Sigh.

So I know exactly what you mean...sounds like you've got things figured out...keep gently pushing the transplant into the main flock...in a week, you simply may have to "rip off the band aid" and let her integrate as by then they will have enough introduction. There always is a bit of a hassle, and while worrisome, I've never had it develop into a blood bath. (If I ever did, that hen would be soup as that is too aggressive.)

Good luck. Keep us posted
smile.png

Lady of McCamley

New chicken owner here and its day 21 for my broody hen.  My first broody and I think I'm more nervous than she is.  She's only sitting on 4 eggs, and my rooster's yet to achieve a 100% fertility rate, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

But, when I checked on her this morning, I did see her reach under her and come up with a small piece of egg shell.

Any more experienced chicken people know when a broody is likely to show you her chicks or at what point you should check under her?  

I've been enjoying this thread as a lurker, so I thought it was time to show myself. :D

you should also be able to hear faint cheeping now as well. On day 21 my brooder will start clucking and make noises as she knows it's "any day now". My last lot were orpingtons and the first chick hatched in the afternoon of day 21 with the last chick on day 23.

Hang in there, exciting times ahead. And the best part is that the mum does everything, mine even helped a chick out of the shell once.

Good luck!!

Picking up on my earlier post -- My broody hatched her first little chick today. He or she is a bold little one. I can't stop smiling. What a good little chicken!

Last edited:
I have a question; Does anyone know how many days, after a hen starts to set, is it ok to put freshly laid fertile eggs under her? What would happen if some chicks were to hatch while others are a couple of days behind? I have a broody hen who has been setting for 3 or 4 days on just a few eggs.

Back
Top Bottom