Broody Hen Thread!

Ok thanks for the advice. I can't wait to see these chicks. They are black silkie, gold laced polish crosses. I will post some pics. :)

I wasn't sure where to post this. I have two hens that we're sitting on a clutch for about two weeks, suddenly they both have left it completely alone. It's been cold and they been uncovered for over 24 hours. Is it to late for them to make it?

One of my broodys eggs got out of her nest some how and when I found it and put it back in the nest it was really cold. Im not sure how long it was out. I candled it tonight and its pipping i was surprised to see it still alive. Hatch day is thursday so we will see what happens. I wouldn't give up on your eggs yet. Maybe see if you can see any movement in them.

We have had some real rainy/cold waether here lately, and its not doung good on the broodies and their chicks!
he.gif
Yesterday i noticed that 2 chicks were really falling behind the hens! I just took those two and gave them to a broody whose eggs were hatching! She adopted them with an attitude of wanting more
wink.png

.........................................................................................................................
Anyway, i have finally found someone who mught be able to give me eggs (Brahma and BO)
Go here to his site! He has got some real nice birds!!

I'm amazed at how many people have broodies this time of year. My chickens are all in the molt right now and not showing much interest in the nest boxes.

I was worried about Scout this morning - it was 55 when the chickens went to bed, 18 when we got up and has now dropped to 14. It's supposed to be below zero in the next few days. We had high winds, rain, then sleet, and woke up to snow covering the ice. Ken went out to check on the chickens and they were all out in the run - even Agatha and Scout. His baby waterer froze the night before, so yesterday I taught him to drink out of the big 5 gallon bucket. It's got a heater in it. I put a brick next to one side, put him up on it, dipped his little beak, and the rest, as they say, is history. A little later he hopped back up there by himself, got a drink, and hopped back down. So glad I switched his water from the open, chick waterer to an iced tea container with a horizontal nipple when he was just 2 days old so he was familiar with it. He's doing great and Agatha is doing a fantastic job caring for him, which surprises me because she's so young.

I was worried about Scout this morning - it was 55 when the chickens went to bed, 18 when we got up and has now dropped to 14. It's supposed to be below zero in the next few days. We had high winds, rain, then sleet, and woke up to snow covering the ice. Ken went out to check on the chickens and they were all out in the run - even Agatha and Scout. His baby waterer froze the night before, so yesterday I taught him to drink out of the big 5 gallon bucket. It's got a heater in it. I put a brick next to one side, put him up on it, dipped his little beak, and the rest, as they say, is history. A little later he hopped back up there by himself, got a drink, and hopped back down. So glad I switched his water from the open, chick waterer to an iced tea container with a horizontal nipple when he was just 2 days old so he was familiar with it. He's doing great and Agatha is doing a fantastic job caring for him, which surprises me because she's so young.
WOW! I sam soooo scared my chicks drown in open dishes!!
hit.gif

WOW! I sam soooo scared my chicks drown in open dishes!!
hit.gif
That's why I like the horizontal nipples so much. The water stays clean, I don't have to worry about a chick drowning in it or falling in and getting chilled to the point where he can't be revived, and they don't drip. Plus with the closed container, there is less humidity released into the air. They learn to use it quickly.

That's why I like the horizontal nipples so much. The water stays clean, I don't have to worry about a chick drowning in it or falling in and getting chilled to the point where he can't be revived, and they don't drip. Plus with the closed container, there is less humidity released into the air. They learn to use it quickly.
Awesome!! I wish i could find one of those but i guess they dotn sell them here! Luckily i use tube waterers (Think thats waht they are calles) and they are fine too!!

Back
Top Bottom