Broody Hen Thread!

You are all much braver than this old lady. This is Agatha's second time sitting eggs, and I learned well the first time not to touch her! When she's broody her name changes to Attilla the Hen! Man, is she a total grouch! The broody pen is in the run. All I have to do is open the run door and she's growling even though I'm four feet and two wire walls away from her. I'm not disturbing her in any way, shape, or form - not even candling the eggs...not that I'd know what I'm doing there anyway. Nope, I have a quilt to finish, and I need all ten fingers to get that done!

OMG!

I just went out to check my broody and she had just killed the chick she hatched last night!

I've got 4 more eggs with one pipping under her. I'm getting an incubator from my SIL in a few minutes, can anyone tell me how to set it when the chicks are actually hatching? I don't feel safe leaving the rest of them in there with her.

I was amazed to see that chick under her! She had been so quiet, I never heard a thing until we moved Nessie!
We had to battle Nessie to move her. Finally my husband just picked her up and the chick had been under her wing. They have a little sound they make to let the chicks know to be quiet, and it works!

Thank you! I was actually out there and she stood up to rotate and we saw two eggs that had pips in them!!!! We are excited!! Until I read the others whose hens eat the baby chicks :(((. I keep telling my kids that we need to be prepared for anything!

OMG!

I just went out to check my broody and she had just killed the chick she hatched last night!

I've got 4 more eggs with one pipping under her. I'm getting an incubator from my SIL in a few minutes, can anyone tell me how to set it when the chicks are actually hatching? I don't feel safe leaving the rest of them in there with her.
I'd just leave her be....picking her up may have caused the accident.

I'd just leave her be....picking her up may have caused the accident.
I didn't pick her up. That post was about our first broody, Nessie.

I checked her this morning and saw the chick peeking out from under her wing and when I went back later to give her fresh water she had pecked the chick to death. It was bloody and she had chick feathers on her beak.

I would definitely take those eggs and never let her have chicks again. It isn't that common but some chickens are just terrible mothers. I am assuming you would set the incubator just as you normally would for lockdown. Good luck.

Last edited:
I would definitely take those eggs and never let her have chicks again. It isn't that common but some chickens are just terrible mothers. I am assuming you would set the incubator just as you normally would for lockdown. Good luck.
Yes, she will never get another chance.

I just went out to check and see about the one that was pipping and it had hatched out. When I lifted her up a bit to see she saw the chick and tried to peck it. I took it from her and put it in a box with a warm light.

My issue now is that I've never used an incubator before and I'm borrowing one from my SIL. She lost the manual and I'm trying to figure out how to set it for the rest of these eggs. They should be hatching soon.

Do you have the incubator plugged in and heating up right now with water in the wells? I think, moving them at this late stage, getting your humidity up is the most urgent thing. Since you don't have a full day or so to regulate the temp on your incubator you probably need to have someone watching the temp almost constantly so it doesn't end up cooking them. I know I saw on here someone who actually used a tote box, heating pad, and maybe damp towels for the humidity. I wish someone would see this who has done this before. But honestly, my thinking is, as long as they don't get too cold or dry out, being exact isn't quite as urgent, just getting them with heat and humidity is the main priority.

Back
Top Bottom