Broody Hen Thread!

7 more days to hatching! The box she was sitting in was kinda high off the ground and knew I needed to move her just worried about disturbing her. But in ten minutes she is back on her eggs. Hope this was the right move.

I am so so sorry. I am a first-timer and don't know what I'm doing. I hope it works out.
I have two that have started pipping and one of them actually made a hole in the shell. I wS sitting out watching and the mama actually stood up and got off and I heard the hole egg chirp! But then the mama pecked twice at it and then gathered them all and sat back down again. This makes me nervous that she's pecking if yours pecked too!!! Anyone ever had a broody pecking at an egg and have it end alright? We don't have anything to continue if she goes crazy. Only one other broody hen who has been sitting somewhere else for a week that maybe we could transfer eggs??
Thanks! This is only the second broody I've ever had, the first was a warrior mamma so I'm gobsmacked. I feel like our 18 months of chicken keeping has been a speed learning of so many things that can go wrong.

We've also had lots of good experiences, so I can't complain too much and I have learned SO much!

7 more days to hatching! The box she was sitting in was kinda high off the ground and knew I needed to move her just worried about disturbing her. But in ten minutes she is back on her eggs. Hope this was the right move.
Looks good!!

Thanks! This is only the second broody I've ever had, the first was a warrior mamma so I'm gobsmacked. I feel like our 18 months of chicken keeping has been a speed learning of so many things that can go wrong.

We've also had lots of good experiences, so I can't complain too much and I have learned SO much!
It's like trying to get a drink of water out of a fire hose!!!

Be sure the shavings are up to the floor level of the enclosure before the chicks hatch. Those little suckers are tiny and fast and will escape. Without mom able to follow them and protect them, they can get in real trouble. It's possible they could get between the wires, too, so keep an eye on them at first. Be sure to post pictures. I'm going to do something similar with a dog/puppy enclosure made of canvas and netting (I hope) for my 3rd broodie. The first two broods are in the hoop coop, but they will be 2 weeks old when the next batch is hatched, so I'm hesitant to put them all in together until the new babies get their feet under them.

Thank you! I plan on making some modifications in the coming days. This is my first year with chickens and I have much to learn but I'm awfully excited about her hatching these chicks.

I used the same dog crate for mine and one of the chicks escaped. I even put chicken wire around the sides and it still got out. It just disappeared, I dont know what happened after it got out. I never did find it.
hit.gif

Next time I will be wrapping the sides with some, fabric, burlap, very small hardware cloth or maybe even plastic wrap, just so they cant squeeze out. They are really tiny under the feathers and can get thru very very small openings.
Marie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom