Broody Hen Thread!

I'm new to this thread and have a question......I have one hen with a chick that hatched a week ago in a small nursery coop. I have another broody hen in another coop sitting on 4 eggs which if viable should hatch in a week. I want to raise the chicks together because I only have the one nursery coop. As the new chicks hatch, should I move them in with the other hen and chick at nighttime and let the one hen raise them all? Or can I let the two hens raise their separate clutches together?

I'm new to this thread and have a question......I have one hen with a chick that hatched a week ago in a small nursery coop. I have another broody hen in another coop sitting on 4 eggs which if viable should hatch in a week. I want to raise the chicks together because I only have the one nursery coop. As the new chicks hatch, should I move them in with the other hen and chick at nighttime and let the one hen raise them all? Or can I let the two hens raise their separate clutches together?
Momhen, what you are wanting to do is possible-----but thats going to be up to the hens. When you put a chick with a 2 week old chick and mom-----she might kill them----might not. She might accept them today and kill them tomorrow. Putting the two hens together might lead to alot of fighting and dead chicks----Might not. Personally I would divide the pen----if its to small I would get another one. Pens can be frabicated so easy----example--a plastic wal-mart tote for a coop----it laying on its side or a hole cut in it big enough they can get in. Get a few feet of 1/2" hardware cloth 3ft wide------farm a circle a few feet in diameter----set the tote/coop inside the circle-----put a old sheet over the top for shade----food and water-----they will be happy, plus you can move it every few days. It just needs to be in your main yard so animals can not get to it.

OR a decent size dog kennel with the plastic bottom removed(if you want) wrap it with some wire that the chicks can not get through.

My sweet Winter and two of her newly hatched babies. So far she has 4 with three more sort of iffy eggs. She is in love! :love

Yay!!!! How sweet! It really is the most amazing thing to watch!

My sweet Winter and two of her newly hatched babies. So far she has 4 with three more sort of iffy eggs. She is in love!
love.gif

I never get tired of seeing these pictures. Watching a hatch really does give me goosebumps.

I'm on day 15 for my broody and am so, so hoping this hatch for her goes better than last time. She must be worried too as she is glued to her nest -- I have never seen her leave it. I put water and food in front of her nest box because I got worried she would starve herself. I'm only finding broody poop every third day. For better or worse, I'm glad hatch day is nearing.

Thanks guys. :) Yes, it really is just amazing! :) This is my first year with broodies hatching their own and she is my third one. :th Honestly though, I wouldn't complain if they all did! :)

Good luck, Morrigan. I sure hope your girl has a good hatch.

has anyone run the chicken calculator on the possible chicks they might get?

I just did that, and I'm dying! apparently I might get about anything, since my roo is a black star (RIR x barred rock) and my hens are Isa browns, BLRW, BCM...

I hope I get something that hatches!

has anyone run the chicken calculator on the possible chicks they might get?

I just did that, and I'm dying! apparently I might get about anything, since my roo is a black star (RIR x barred rock) and my hens are Isa browns, BLRW, BCM...

I hope I get something that hatches!
I know some like to play around with mixed breeding, but for me-----everything is True to breed----I cross Nothing unless its a sex-link.

I'm kind of anxious to see what chicks result from Scout's "amorous activities." Agatha (his surrogate mom last year) is sitting on 9 eggs - two EE eggs and at least 4 Marans eggs. The other eggs are Red Sex Links. I'm hoping the Marans' eggs with Scout as the daddy will give me a couple of Olive Eggers. That's the theory I read, anyway. Heck, I'm just tickled that Scout is still with us and can even breed! I'm so proud of him!!!

Can't find this info anywhere. My broody hatched 2 out of 3 and I have some in the incubator. I only want to keep 1 of her 2 as 1 isn't my desired coloring. Can I switch her outside with an inside baby and plop one of hers that I'm not keeping in the hatcher with the others? Or will it need to be separate due to contaminating the sterile incubator?

Back
Top Bottom