Broody Hen Thread!

Question:

Broody in coop (shed)

It's 93 today, thermometer in coop says 92. I have a fan blowing on the nest box (cat litter box).

I hate to move her to a different pen and have her quit, but I don't want her to croak!

Is summer weather a problem to be concerned with? Anyone have experiences with problems with heat?

Thanks!

Question:

Broody in coop (shed)

It's 93 today, thermometer in coop says 92. I have a fan blowing on the nest box (cat litter box).

I hate to move her to a different pen and have her quit, but I don't want her to croak!

Is summer weather a problem to be concerned with? Anyone have experiences with problems with heat?

Thanks!

We don't get nearly the intense temps which occur further south, but ours have done fine through summer as long as they are given good air flow either by natural ventilation in the coop or by adding a supplemental fan if they are brooding in an area that doesn't get good natural air flow.

We don't get nearly the intense temps which occur further south, but ours have done fine through summer as long as they are given good air flow either by natural ventilation in the coop or by adding a supplemental fan if they are brooding in an area that doesn't get good natural air flow.

We just experienced a couple days of 98... I made sure there was ventilation in the coop.. They will be fine, Don't be alarmed if you see her sitting off the eggs in that type of heat tho, she doesn't want to cook them :)

Question:

Broody in coop (shed)

It's 93 today, thermometer in coop says 92.  I have a fan blowing on the nest box (cat litter box).

Is summer weather a problem to be  concerned with?  Anyone have experiences with problems with heat?

Thanks!
I live in Florida and my broody got off the nest several times a day and sat for quite a bit when it was hot as hell and had a normal chick

After water candling Agatha's eggs this evening, we've pulled them. They stunk, (one of them really bad) but I wasn't sure if that was from the egg that exploded before or not. Got my answer when they went into the water. They floated so high that most of the egg was out of the water. There was absolutely no sign of any life in them whatsoever. She looks terrible - she's dirty, exhausted, and lost so much weight she's all feathers.....and even they look terrible. So she's done. Seems funny to have the brooder/broody pen taken down for the first time since early March. I would love to have had another little Scout running around but in the overall scheme of things she's here now and deserves to be back to her old self.

After water candling Agatha's eggs this evening, we've pulled them. They stunk, (one of them really bad) but I wasn't sure if that was from the egg that exploded before or not. Got my answer when they went into the water. They floated so high that most of the egg was out of the water. There was absolutely no sign of any life in them whatsoever. She looks terrible - she's dirty, exhausted, and lost so much weight she's all feathers.....and even they look terrible. So she's done. Seems funny to have the brooder/broody pen taken down for the first time since early March. I would love to have had another little Scout running around but in the overall scheme of things she's here now and deserves to be back to her old self.
Awww, that's too bad :( :( :(

We had a young hen go broody. We moved her and several eggs to a separate secure building where she has next box, good and water. She went nuts and stopped brooding. The cats got a bunch of eggs.

Now, another one is broody -- 3 days and pecking us. But, she keeps moving from nest box to next box. Should we move her one nite soon or should we let her get more settled in? I would like to hatch some chicks this year.

We live in the SW Missouri Ozarks and have a brooder house with a safe yard for them. We have always bought chicks. BTW, we have 20 hens, Black Australorps with 1 brown leghorn and a brown leghorn rooster. We have plenty of eggs that we can let a batch hatch.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Our newest moms.

Back
Top Bottom