Broody Hen Thread!

I have a question ( it's probably obvious but I'm going to ask anyway lol)
I have a naked neck hen that's only been laying for 2 weeks and has gone broody, since she has been sitting (5 days) she has still laid 2 of her own and has been collecting the eggs from my brahma these are probably fertile as we do have a large roo. Obviously she has collected the eggs that have been laid over the week so they will not all be due on the same date, will she just keep sitting until every egg hatches or will she move onto looking after the first one to hatch and give up on the eggs?

I have a question ( it's probably obvious but I'm going to ask anyway lol)
I have a naked neck hen that's only been laying for 2 weeks and has gone broody, since she has been sitting (5 days) she has still laid 2 of her own and has been collecting the eggs from my brahma these are probably fertile as we do have a large roo. Obviously she has collected the eggs that have been laid over the week so they will not all be due on the same date, will she just keep sitting until every egg hatches or will she move onto looking after the first one to hatch and give up on the eggs?

Either she will neglect the first chicks that hatch while trying waiting for the other eggs, or she will abandon the unhatched eggs to care for the first chicks. It's impossible to say which. Since she has only been sitting for 5 days, I would take all the eggs away and give her a new clutch of eggs to incubate that will all be due the same day. Mark the new eggs and remove any extra that are added to the nest each day.

Either she will neglect the first chicks that hatch while trying waiting for the other eggs, or she will abandon the unhatched eggs to care for the first chicks. It's impossible to say which. Since she has only been sitting for 5 days, I would take all the eggs away and give her a new clutch of eggs to incubate that will all be due the same day. Mark the new eggs and remove any extra that are added to the nest each day.

My broody hen watched the babies hatch one by one and still sat on the eggs for a full week until skill were hatched. She did get up and help the new babies at the same time

Please tell me how you are feeding your broody mommas.

I was told to feed only chick starter, the moms have to eat this also because the chicks can't eat layer feed. And then I'm supposed to offer the moms oyster shell to supplement their diet.

However, I can't get the moms to eat the oyster shell. They just throw it on the ground and cluck for the chicks to eat it. So the chicks will eat it but not the moms. So I stopped trying because I don't want to hurt the chicks.

Did I mention I'm new to chickens (about one year) and I don't know what I'm doing?

I have 2 silkie hens that a coparenting. I had bought them some fertile eggs and they now have 5 chicks that are a few days past four weeks old. This is my entire flock. No other chickens.

Looking forward to advice from more experienced chicken folk.

Thanks!!!!

Please tell me how you are feeding your broody mommas.

I was told to feed only chick starter, the moms have to eat this also because the chicks can't eat layer feed. And then I'm supposed to offer the moms oyster shell to supplement their diet.

However, I can't get the moms to eat the oyster shell. They just throw it on the ground and cluck for the chicks to eat it. So the chicks will eat it but not the moms. So I stopped trying because I don't want to hurt the chicks.

Did I mention I'm new to chickens (about one year) and I don't know what I'm doing?

I have 2 silkie hens that a coparenting. I had bought them some fertile eggs and they now have 5 chicks that are a few days past four weeks old. This is my entire flock. No other chickens.

Looking forward to advice from more experienced chicken folk.

Thanks!!!!

We just feed the broody whatever the chicks are getting, either starter or grower and don't worry about calcium supplements until the hen is ready to start laying again...when the hen is ready to lay again she will quit offering to feed the chicks and you can put the oyster shells back out.

We just feed the broody whatever the chicks are getting, either starter or grower and don't worry about calcium supplements until the hen is ready to start laying again...when the hen is ready to lay again she will quit offering to feed the chicks and you can put the oyster shells back out.
I provide a dish if food and water in her coop. I too will feed her what the babies eat. I have owned chicks for 3 years and never feed them oyster shells. U can also give the hens the chicken shells after using the egg

Does anyone know if its ever to early to introduce chicks to a broody hen? My hen just went broody 3 days ago is it to early?

I won't introduce till a hen has sat for 10days or so, and then only if she is an experienced broody... a new broody I would wait until 14 days...but I am basing that on my experiences with my birds, I am sure others may have different guidelines for time.
A week or so ago I posted a message explaining my views on the stages of a broody...go back and read over the past couple weeks worth of posts and you will get a good overview of some of the broody issues covered.

Confirmed movement in all but Scarlett's egg. Think it was an early quitter. Will confirm on Wed. and pull if it no change. Was cool to see Cookie's. With them being so light I even saw a foot!

Had my 3rd hen go broody and I just set a dozen eggs, any special considerations for a fall hatch? The due date would be about a week before the average first freeze date.

The hen is in box inside a dog crate inside the coop, keeping her isolated to see if that improves the outcome. My first 2 attempts were in an open nest box and hatches were 1 of 12 and 4 of 12.

Back
Top Bottom