Broody Hen Thread!

For some unknown reason I can't post pics.....BUT I FOUND POCAHONTAS!!!! She scared the life out of me. Was getting a hay bale for the horse and goat, I usually just toss them one huge bale once a week and they play king of the mountain and nibble at it. As I grabbed the bale I heard a dinosaur "squaaaak" and I screamed lol it was her, sitting on 8 eggs, there more than 15 days old from the looks of it so she must be to the piont where she's not leaving the nest since she "disappeared" lol silly girl. Don't need more chicks but not gonna stop her now. Anyone wanna buy some cuckoo maran/blue laced red Wyandotte chicks hahaha

Well Soci did it! One chick hatched another zipping! So proud of my girl. I cant believe theyre hatching on day 19!

For some unknown reason I can't post pics.....BUT I FOUND POCAHONTAS!!!! She scared the life out of me. Was getting a hay bale for the horse and goat, I usually just toss them one huge bale once a week and they play king of the mountain and nibble at it. As I grabbed the bale I heard a dinosaur "squaaaak" and I screamed lol it was her, sitting on 8 eggs, there more than 15 days old from the looks of it so she must be to the piont where she's not leaving the nest since she "disappeared" lol silly girl. Don't need more chicks but not gonna stop her now. Anyone wanna buy some cuckoo maran/blue laced red Wyandotte chicks hahaha
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

Yay! So glad you found her!!!

hi there - I have no idea if I've posted this on the right thread, in the right place or even on the right website ! I'm quite new too keeping chickens but very new at posting so bare with me!

Basically I have three birds - 2 RIR and a polish cock.
starting from the begging - basically I have de mantled my chickens house in order to jet wash it, treat it for mites and weather proof it before the bad weather starts coming in when I noticed one of my hens acting more strange than usual.

She was sat in the nest box (bum on grass with no roof) pretty much all day... Come 4pm I started getting worried as she hadn't moved from there all day, so lifting her up we were surprised to see her clutching 2 eggs.

We moved her &I the eggs somewhere safe in the corner of the garden whilst we completed the house and put it back together (We also added another 4 fertile eggs making 6 alltogether)
She clutched them all day turning & counting them each time she moved, leaving once for food and drink..
When she did get off the eggs to eat, the house was back together so we moved the eggs into the nest box hoping she would follow - but she didn't.

When we showed her the eggs she seemed scared of them running a mile!
& that was it for the broodiness
1f62d.png

Did I break the broody spell by moving her twice ?
Was she even broody to begin with ?
Is there any way I can spur her motherly instinct to clutch some eggs again! I'm desperate to hatch my own chicks!
Thank you for reading - Emily

hi there - I have no idea if I've posted this on the right thread, in the right place or even on the right website ! I'm quite new too keeping chickens but very new at posting so bare with me!

Basically I have three birds - 2 RIR and a polish cock.
starting from the begging - basically I have de mantled my chickens house in order to jet wash it, treat it for mites and weather proof it before the bad weather starts coming in when I noticed one of my hens acting more strange than usual.

She was sat in the nest box (bum on grass with no roof) pretty much all day... Come 4pm I started getting worried as she hadn't moved from there all day, so lifting her up we were surprised to see her clutching 2 eggs.

We moved her &I the eggs somewhere safe in the corner of the garden whilst we completed the house and put it back together (We also added another 4 fertile eggs making 6 alltogether)
She clutched them all day turning & counting them each time she moved, leaving once for food and drink..
When she did get off the eggs to eat, the house was back together so we moved the eggs into the nest box hoping she would follow - but she didn't.

When we showed her the eggs she seemed scared of them running a mile!
& that was it for the broodiness
1f62d.png

Did I break the broody spell by moving her twice ?
Was she even broody to begin with ?
Is there any way I can spur her motherly instinct to clutch some eggs again! I'm desperate to hatch my own chicks!
Thank you for reading - Emily
Is there a way of closing her in with the eggs? This evening at dark....she may just settle back into her broody trance.....I have a White Cochin broody...I moved her from a nest box in the coop to a chicken tractor in the yard...she wasn't very happy with me for a few hours...she flattened herself against the hardware cloth and stared at the birds in the outside run...so I covered the wire with a tarp..she could hear them but she couldn't see them...when she went into the nest area in the tractor that night...I shut her in...by morning she had moved the eggs to a spot she chose and built a nest of the wood chips...and plunked down to brood the eggs...she has been there ever since...so it is possible to them back on track...give it a shot...what do you have to lose...you can lead a hen to eggs...but you can't make them sit...but you can calm them down and offer the eggs...try it. Let us know how it goes!! Good luck!!!

My hen went broody early this week. I figured I would get fertilized eggs from a friend and I can hatch some chickes and keep half the hatch to add to my flock.
Well she isn't getting off the nest at all unless I take her off. I know this because I have been home all day for the last two and a half days (working nights) an she hasn't so I make her get off in the evening and dust bath ,eat,and drink. I also have been giving her a dropper of water three times a day since it's been 100 or so. I made her boiled eggs, mealworms, tuna, and some mayo mix and left it literally right by her and she ate! I was so happy. So I'm guessing I need to do this for her at leat twice a day probably and get her off the nest once, does that sound ok?
She is only in the first week of brooding, since Tuesday evening and it's Saturday evening.
She is such a good broody mama. I watch her rotate the eggs and tuck them
Under nice an snug she loves her eggs! Guards them like crazy too :)
Is there anything I need to do? I seperated her from
The rest of the flock. I got my large coop Friday that I built and put her in her own broody hen suit. It's perfect for a broody hen and a bunch of chicks :)

So....I've dug DJ out of PJ's nest twice today and she has slept in there with her the last two nights. Went to get Betty's egg and she was sitting on it and bulled up at me when I moved her. Broodiness is truly contagious.

My dominique has gone broody for the third tine this year. She hatched some chicks with my Sussex back in june/july. Then she stuck the sussex with all the chicks when they were about four weeks old. I keep taking her off the nest whenever I see her in there. I placed her for most of today in my chicken tractor.

Back
Top Bottom