Broody Hen Thread!

I'd just pull them when I got home, or get someone to come get them over the weekend if I really didn't want chicks, but that's me.  Can you block her off from the roos or the other birds so that she at least won't have fertile eggs?  She probably isn't laying if she's already broody, right?  I have such an insistent Silkie that I'm tempted to give her some #$%@ eggs even though I really have no room for chicks either.
I have a silkie with the same problem she gets up to eat and during and poo but goes right back in we r on week 6 now I might cave and give her some eggs

I have a silkie with the same problem she gets up to eat and during and poo but goes right back in we r on week 6 now I might cave and give her some eggs

OH! That's a long time. No, she gets up sooner than that, seems to be up the last two days now (I expect the rather cold weather here finished her resolve) and it seems to me its been about 2 weeks this time, although I should check......yes...Aug 27 I have noted that she is broody, so it may have been a day earlier, but not much more. I think it was three weeks in the summer when it was warm, but I would start trying to break her if it had gone on much longer. 6 wks is a long time.

I've tried breaking her the only way to get her to stop is to give her some eggs and I don't need anymore chicks right now. I do have a friend that is getting ready to hatch some polish frizzles and when she does I am going to give her a few

We had one of our hens go broody and decided to let her go. It's been a game of wait and see. These are our first chickens and have only had them for about a year. Yesterday I noticed we had a new chick, today there are 3. She has a couple more unhatched so I am still watching close.

I was going to separate her from the rest of the chickens but she is keeping everyone in check, including me :D

Back
Top Bottom