Broody Hen Thread!

She is very serious about her job. She wont let anything get to her egg she attacked a raven that got in there and she will only let the rooster in there at night to sleep with her. She has only one egg and hasnt been laying. But I beleive for a first time brooder and hatcher she is doing good!
She looks very unhealthy healthy hen Dont let her brood as this is creul

She looks very unhealthy healthy hen Dont let her brood as this is creul

When she is broody she sits on that nest and does nothing, I gave her an egg so she would have something to do and wouldnt kill herself on that nest. I give her food and she goes out to get water. When she hatches this egg she will be very happy and I will give her a nice warm area with plenty of food and water to raise her chick. For now hatching this egg is her top priority.

I have a broody hen sitting on 9 eggs hatching April 25th she is in the coop with the other chickens. Do I need to separate her and the eggs before they hatch?

Depends. I would move her and her eggs the day before they hatch so the other hens dont kill the babies. I would move her into a warm room with her nest so that she is away from the other chickens when the eggs hatch. For now I would leave her in her nest.

My broody did the weirdest thing today. When i went out to check on every one she ran out of her hen house clucking and took a dirt bath. She then drank tons of water and started walking around with the other hens. I had someone with me and we were feeding the chickens scraps so i tried to chase her towards the scraps and she ran at my friend, turned around, and went back to her nest and sat on her egg. Dont know if this is normal.
Completely normal. I think of it as the crazies. They get just plain nuts sometimes.

Hello,

I was wondering if i could move eggs getting close to lockdown in a incubator under a hem that just turned broody. And will the hen move the eggs around or will she know that they are close to hatching,.. Thanks

Hello,

I was wondering if i could move eggs getting close to lockdown in a incubator under a hem that just turned broody. And will the hen move the eggs around or will she know that they are close to hatching,.. Thanks

The hen might take the eggs but dont put them under her put them in front of her while she is sitting down and if she rolls the eggs under her then let her hatch them. If she doesnt put them back in the incubator. How many days do the eggs have until they hatch?

Back
Top Bottom