Broody Hen Thread!

I could bring her up to the coop by the house. The others are all in the orchard. But then she would be totally out of sight of the others so more of a potential problem introducing her back again later. I can't really put her anywhere out of the way too much in the orchard as I want to keep her within the electric fence area. Since some of the young oned are good at flying, all their little coops are in the middle of the area so they can't use the roof as a launch pad.

I tried to move her into a kennel, not a crate. So mostly enclosed. But no luck. Now neither of the 2 who were acting broody seem in the slightest bit interested today. Oh well.

I currently have two broody hens laying on two different nests..... The issue I have is of course it's the two nests that everybody else uses so they wil go in and lay an egg and now I think they are laying on eggs freshly laid as well.... So should I move the hens or block them off from the others?

Oh yeah, that should have been perfect :( I use ping pong balls in my empty nests and for new layers...fill a nest with something similar and it may be enough to coax one into setting.. good luck..my Silkies and OEGB will try to hatch rocks if given the chance. Im always up to my ears in broodies, but then again, thats why I got those gals..lol..

I currently have two broody hens laying on two different nests..... The issue I have is of course it's the two nests that everybody else uses so they wil go in and lay an egg and now I think they are laying on eggs freshly laid as well.... So should I move the hens or block them off from the others?

If they are being bothered then you will have to either move them or block them, third choice is to mark the hatching eggs you want her to hatch and remove any new eggs daily. You will have problems with a staggered hatch if you don't.
The moving or blocking choice depends on the amount of room you have and the hen. Some just don't tolerate any type of move, though most can be moved if done at night and planned and executed without fuss. Some won't sit in another coop or location but you can get them to cooperate with a move to a quieter area of the same coop. Only experience will tell you what works with any particular hen.

Blocking them off from the others is way less risky than moving the broodys. Some hens will not accept a move.

I am a nervous/anxious mess! One of my girls went broody and we decided to let her sit on 7 eggs. We removed 3 at day 14 that were quiters so now she has 4 left under her. It's day 18 and I can't wait to see if any hatch! I really hope she atleast gets one to hatch!

I am a nervous/anxious mess! One of my girls went broody and we decided to let her sit on 7 eggs. We removed 3 at day 14 that were quiters so now she has 4 left under her. It's day 18 and I can't wait to see if any hatch! I really hope she atleast gets one to hatch!

I know the feeling. I have two hens hatching this week. I'm almost afraid to look. Odd-each of my hens has four eggs too.

Oh yeah, that should have been perfect :( I use ping pong balls in my empty nests and for new layers...fill a nest with something similar and it may be enough to coax one into setting.. good luck..my Silkies and OEGB will try to hatch rocks if given the chance. Im always up to my ears in broodies, but then again, thats why I got those gals..lol..

At lock up time tonight I found this one in the kennel. This is the one that has been trying to go broody the longest but is not the one I tried to move last night as the other one was hogging the nest. She has 2 dummy eggs and 3 real byt not fertile eggs under her. I'll see how she is tomorrow.

I took this picture of her earlier as she was running about the place. She's quite bare underneath!

My broody hen sadly failed
The first chick hatched 6 days late
And was dead the next day
Another hatched 1 week and a day late
And died too
Another one hatched the day after that and also died
I have chicks hatching now in the incubator
So hopefully I can slip a few chicks under her :D

Back
Top Bottom