Broody Hen Thread!

There is a sticky here that says to do the float test to see if eggs are viable. There is so much conflicting things in here. Can chickens lay bad eggs?
I've seen multiple people recently say to not do the float test. If the eggs are far enough along and they've made a small pip in the shell you could drown the chick.

Another question for you. I always get an egg that looks like the pic I uploaded. Suspect it's the same hen who is bald on her bottom some reason the feathers won't grow back. View attachment 1140046
I have one hen who lays an egg like that. I don't think it is related to her bottom being bald. Some hens will pull their feathers out if they get too dirty, I had a hen with diarrhea and she got those feathers caked with poo. She wouldn't let me help. A few days later, she pulled out all those dirty feathers. They will come back after she molts.

I've seen multiple people recently say to not do the float test. If the eggs are far enough along and they've made a small pip in the shell you could drown the chick.

I have one hen who lays an egg like that. I don't think it is related to her bottom being bald. Some hens will pull their feathers out if they get too dirty, I had a hen with diarrhea and she got those feathers caked with poo. She wouldn't let me help. A few days later, she pulled out all those dirty feathers. They will come back after she molts.
How often do they molt?

Day 11 for our Sebright on her eggs, we're past the halfway point! I found day by day drawings of what the eggs look like inside:
day 11.png

IMG_1267.JPG
My little OEGB has been broody since she started laying but today I candled an egg and saw a little embryo!! she lays on all of the chickens eggs lol I took about a dozen eggs out from under her so she can lay on her own today lol

So, my Paulina's eggs should be hatching tomorrow IF there are even any eggs still under her. She attacks, so I've never been able to check what's happening with her. I'm just going to wait and see if any chirping happens. I hope she doesn't attack any babies, if there are any. It's all very different from when my sweet girls hatched, they didn't mind me checking on the eggs and looking for signs of hatching.

So, my Paulina's eggs should be hatching tomorrow IF there are even any eggs still under her. She attacks, so I've never been able to check what's happening with her. I'm just going to wait and see if any chirping happens. I hope she doesn't attack any babies, if there are any. It's all very different from when my sweet girls hatched, they didn't mind me checking on the eggs and looking for signs of hatching.
I've had three girls go broody. The one who attacked me, I refused to give eggs. I broke her instead. I want to be able to candle, check for piping, be able to shoo her off the nest for food and water, check on babies with out being attacked.

The one who attacked me,
When I say "attacked", she pecks at me. I think it might be because her hair is over her eyes that she feels threatened. I did manage to give her a pat today, I stuck to her head and smoothed her topknot back so I could see her eyes, and she could see me. She didn't peck me when I did that.

Nonetheless, I've let her be, so she's not been used to being handled while she's there. I think I'm worrying unnecessarily, I've no reason to think she'll be aggressive to any babies, I'm just not used to having to "stay out of it" and if there's something to worry about, I'm there :D

Back
Top Bottom