Broody Hen to hatch an egg

Nmr96

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2019
So I just recently had one of my hens raised from this past spring go broody. I decided that I wanted her to incubate one of the eggs that another hen laid. She has been on it for about 14 days now. I have 2 concerns, one being that she is low in the pecking order and gets bullied out of her nesting box all the time and im worried that this will effect how the chick hatches( being injured etc.). My other concern is that I am only hatching out 1 chick and not multiple. I know that this can cause depression and loneliness and lack of success in chicks. However, I have read that if they are staying with the mother it is okay to have just one. I am just worried that the chick may be injured and if having just one is okay. Any advice/experience is greatly appreciated.

My pekin lavender chose to only hatch one this year when last year she did 5 but her and the chick are happy enough and growing very well my only concern would be that she is getting bullied off her nest that could create disability in the chick or it won’t hatch but usually a hen will throw an egg out of the chicknisnt alive I don’t know how they know but Mine all do in the last few days

My pekin lavender chose to only hatch one this year when last year she did 5 but her and the chick are happy enough and growing very well my only concern would be that she is getting bullied off her nest that could create disability in the chick or it won’t hatch but usually a hen will throw an egg out of the chicknisnt alive I don’t know how they know but Mine all do in the last few days
So should i separate her? I have a large dog carrier that she could stay in for the time being.

So should i separate her? I have a large dog carrier that she could stay in for the time being.
I have my two bodies in large dog kennels. One on day 4 and one on day 18. Both are low in pecking order. I would put your hen and chick in a separate run, because the bigger chickens in your glock can and will kill it. However you do need to give your hen some food and water everyday

I have my two bodies in large dog kennels. One on day 4 and one on day 18. Both are low in pecking order. I would put your hen and chick in a separate run, because the bigger chickens in your glock can and will kill it. However you do need to give your hen some food and water everyday
BROODIES I SWEAR I ment BROODIES:lau

Back
Top Bottom