Broody hen took up residence under front porch

Jesusisnumber1

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2015
Washington pa
Hen went rogue and is broody on 4 eggs under front porch. Have not moved her back to coop due to being leery that she would stay on eggs. We have 9 chickens in coop already and the eggs will or should hatch Wednesday may 10...she took up residence under our front porch...should I put her and eggs in coop???

I would keep her there if you want her to hatch the eggs. If you try to move her, she might not go back on the eggs and finish the job. You only have a few days left anyways so I would keep her there. Once the chicks hatch, she will come out and you can put her and the babies back in the coop.

Thank you!!
She is not a hen that can be easily caught. I am hoping that we can coax her and babies into the run with her flock and all is well from there. However, I am concerned for babies safety as far as other hens and rooster go. I would hope that babies are not attacked. Any advice??

Is she a more dominant hen? Or does she get pecked by the others? If she is high on the pecking order she should *imo be able to keep the hens lower than her away.
I had a rooster last year try to kill my game hens chicks when they were just a few days old. So now I separate my broody hens and their chicks until they can put up with the bullying or the chicks are old enough to get out of the way.
The hens are easier to herd around and move slower when they have new chicks, so you should be able to guide her and babies to the run.
maybe you could temporarily divide up the run for the broody hen and keep a dog crate or something heavy duty out there to lock her up in at night? Just a suggestion. Good luck, would love to see pics when they hatch.
I've got a Wyandotte hen on a dozen eggs right now.

We have a nice flock of chickens. They all get along with each other. I have yet to see the hens pecking each other. We have two roos and they are nice as well. I think Rogue One Momma and her babies will be ok..you just never know what the future holds..
Thank you...we are hoping that if not all 4, at least 1 or 2 chicks hatch in a few days..

Back
Top Bottom