Broody hen was eating eggs, should I return hatched chicks to her?

SH2009

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2023
My broody hen nested in our horse hay. Around week 3 I started finding empty bloody shells once a day. So I covered the area with a large chicken wire cage thinking it was predators. But the pattern continued. So I brought the last 6 eggs in last night and put them in my incubator. I put some fresh eggs under the hen and left her be. One chick hatched today and the others are pipped. Should I try to introduce the hatched chick?

Actually, I have a broody hen that is excellent at raising chicks. But she seldom hatches. Eggs just disappear. I always thought maybe she was just rough with them and they broke. Maybe she is eating them, I don't know.

But I have bought a couple of chicks for her, more than once, and she has done a fantastic job raising them, keeping them with her much longer than 6 weeks. And she raised one of the best roosters I have ever had.

So in the dark, I would slip slightly chilled chicks under neath her and give her a chance. It could have been a snake or something.

Mrs K

Actually, I have a broody hen that is excellent at raising chicks. But she seldom hatches. Eggs just disappear. I always thought maybe she was just rough with them and they broke. Maybe she is eating them, I don't know.

But I have bought a couple of chicks for her, more than once, and she has done a fantastic job raising them, keeping them with her much longer than 6 weeks. And she raised one of the best roosters I have ever had.

So in the dark, I would slip slightly chilled chicks under neath her and give her a chance. It could have been a snake or something.

Mrs K
Thank you for this hope. I am in the same situation as OP. My broody more or less ate five of her ten eggs. Although one might have broken first. She could be clumbsy... they could have been infertile. I hope to give her a chance, but a bit terrified of giving her live chicks if they chance dying.

Back
Top Bottom