Broody hen, what to do!!!

leasmom

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
This is my first time dealing with a broody hen. I don't have a rooster and she's stopped laying of course and sits in the feed bucket which is where she lays her eggs-lol, and when I come out I move her, she hates that...but she'll go out and eat and then wait for me to leave and then she'll go back in the feed bucket. Should I put a fake egg underneath her or should I just keep moving her???

Unless you are going to use her to hatch fertilized eggs, you've got to break her by taking her off the nest. This'll get her laying again in about three weeks.

make sure she has NOTHING to sit on... not even golfballs. pick up laid eggs twice a day. and keep kicking her out of the nest... mine usally stop when i persist, aprox 1 week..
i had one bantie cochin that was trying to hatch a very large bright green easteregg.. after a few days of kicking her out, i finally had to take the plastic egg out too. she stopped once the egg was gone.

She's laying in the bucket without an egg in there...she's crazy. I'll have to find the lid to the feed and put it on there because thats where she lays, in their feed bucket-lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom