Everlastinghoop

Songster
Mar 22, 2020
Nokomis, Florida
Hello! Our first time with a broody hen! She is our own hybrid from my first incubated hatch last year. She is on day 15 on her clutch. I candled the eggs and She will have chicks. My question is, I am worried about the chicken tractor she is in for navigating baby chicks in..or rather out of..it is a Two story tractor, and the upper floor is made of mesh because we live in West coast Central Florida...hot......it has a very narrow and steep drop down ramp, to get up and down ....it was all our hens home, for a year, but they outgrew it and my hubs finally built us a new and bigger one for the girls.....but she went broody basically the DAY BEFORE we moved them all into the new one. Wouldn’t you know it. So we have the chicken tractor in the hen yard still with the whole flock (15 hens and a Roo) .....won’t newly hatched baby chicks legs get stuck in the mesh, or they will fall off the ramp?? I don’t know! I have only ever had the safest chick brooders and done it ourselves! This is a first, and our Hen’s first clutch too!! Thanks. I can try to post a Pic of my concern. Any advice is very appreciated. I have been in panic mode of, omg I need to buy a dog crate ASAP . Lol. But don’t want to disrupt her ....and Mayvbe it’s not a big a deal as I think either! Thank you again! Sorry for long post.

This I sent a horrid pic. It is currently dark, but wanted to point out that it is tall enough that I imagine baby one day old chicks tumbling down ...or am I nuts and it’s no big deal...? Also the mesh floor, is that an issue for baby chicks...I thought it was

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 9
I think she chose a nice safe spot. :thumbsup If you could put food and water in there when the chicks hatch it would be a great and safe place for her to raise her babies.
Since it's on the ground I think the wire on the bottom will be fine. I can't see it real well though.

thank you so much for the reply. I know I am freaking. I am mostly because it is on a second floor, NOT on the ground actually. There is a ramp to go up, and she is up there right now. Day 17 tomorrow. ...Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom