Broody hen with 3 eggs?

I just did this last week. I had enough hens, but felt sorry for my broody deranged buff orp so I got two chicks at the feed store. The first night she sat on them fine. I was up early to check and she acted like they were the span of Satan when they popped out from under her. She pecked them and they were afraid. I took them away and stuck them under a lamp. I tried again the next night and in the morning she was fine. I saw one chicken peck her in the eye and she was like Oh, so cute! She's been a great mom since. So glad I tried again. I had a set up initially with two show pens and made it so chicks could get away from her but opening was too small for her to follow. But after day two it was all good. I've got them outside now in a separate hardware cloth pen in the day and in the coop in a dog crate at night with mom.

I’m about to try this too. Our hen has been broody for just about 2 weeks and our chicks came the day before yesterday but we weren’t sure about how the other 6 hens would treat the new ones. We have a smaller henhouse next to the main one that we could move the new family to to keep them apart…
Chicks are now 3 days old…is that a problem?
Can we do it in the morning? Too late to do tonight if we want to keep an eye on things.
any other thoughts, ideas, appreciated.

That is so sweet that she accepted them! What did you buy?
Hi, I got the hen 4 ameraucas… I think that’s how’s spelled. She took them like they were hers. She had to get to one of the chicks that wasn’t listening. But they are two weeks old and love their mama!. Thank you for asking.

I’m about to try this too. Our hen has been broody for just about 2 weeks and our chicks came the day before yesterday but we weren’t sure about how the other 6 hens would treat the new ones. We have a smaller henhouse next to the main one that we could move the new family to to keep them apart…
Chicks are now 3 days old…is that a problem?
Can we do it in the morning? Too late to do tonight if we want to keep an eye on things.
any other thoughts, ideas, appreciated.
I hope it worked out for y’all.

Back
Top Bottom