Broody Hen with eggs question

Lyssa

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Ok, so I started 8 eggs under my broody on Tues. And, I have not seen that girl move since. She is stuck tight on the nest. Good, and I hope it lasts all the way through... but, here's my question. Should I take her off once a day so she will stretch and maybe eat and drink some water? I do have food and water next to her, but I don't think she's touched it. I am a little concerned because she seems like she is in a zombie state, and just makes soft clucking noises when I check on her. I think she ate a blueberry I left for her, but I don't want her to lose to much weight. Am I being overly worried?

Take her off the nest once a day and set her down in front of food and water. You may have to jiggle her a bit to bring her out of the pancaked broody daze.
I have one hen like that, but the rest seem to know to get up to eat and drink. I just leave it close by for them so they don't have to leave their eggs for too long. I've also noticed it being a bit dependent on the weather. They get off more and stay off longer on warmer days, less on cold ones.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that I should, but then I didn't know if it would mess with the eggs if I made her move once a day. I know that I'll feel better knowing once a day she walked and such.

I too have a broody.. I thought she wasn't moving either. Turns out she was- she knew better than me! Now, I do make it a point to hand feed her some berries every couple of days just to make sure she is getting liquid and food (but I think this is more for my reassurance as she seems to be fine!), but I don't remove her from the nest.

One thing I forgot to mention - when picking up your broody be very careful. Besides their bites, which to me aren't painful and not something to worry about, you need to pick her up SLOWLY. They often times have eggs tucked up under their bodies and under their wings. Pick her up too fast and eggs can drop and get broken.

Most hens get the getting up to eat & drink once a day, but some are just so zoned out they are like in a coma.

Quote:
Well, I of course read this last post after I picked her up. Luckily no eggs were broken, but she did have several tucked up all around her. They are now safely back in the nest. I really only moved her to get the eggs she was hoarding that aren't fertile. I got those, put her back on the nest and then fed her scrambled egg. She ate it all up. I have water next to her and some feed, so I will treat with proteins and berries to keep her strong, but I think she is doing ok. I also know, I can't sit and watch her 24/7 so she may be getting up and eating then going back to sit. It's her and my first time at this, so I will have to error on the side of her instinct. She seems really happy. There is no pecking, just happy little noises. Since we only have two hens, the other hen, Big Molly, is sticking close to us, the dogs, the cats, and sitting by the back door when I am in the house. Big Molly seems like she lost her BFF and I am spending what time I can, keeping her company, as the dogs are gone for the afternoon.

Quote:
Well, I of course read this last post after I picked her up. Luckily no eggs were broken, but she did have several tucked up all around her. They are now safely back in the nest. I really only moved her to get the eggs she was hoarding that aren't fertile. I got those, put her back on the nest and then fed her scrambled egg. She ate it all up. I have water next to her and some feed, so I will treat with proteins and berries to keep her strong, but I think she is doing ok. I also know, I can't sit and watch her 24/7 so she may be getting up and eating then going back to sit. It's her and my first time at this, so I will have to error on the side of her instinct. She seems really happy. There is no pecking, just happy little noises. Since we only have two hens, the other hen, Big Molly, is sticking close to us, the dogs, the cats, and sitting by the back door when I am in the house. Big Molly seems like she lost her BFF and I am spending what time I can, keeping her company, as the dogs are gone for the afternoon.

They are a beautiful sight to see once they have their chicks. They just look so serene and happy. I wonder if Big Molly will help to raise the chicks? It has happened.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/87471_little_broody_bug.jpg

Here's
Lil Bug, all fluffed up. I hope Molly will help, last week before we put the fertile eggs under Bug, my husband went out and Molly was sitting the eggs. She is very curious and keeps checking up on Bug several times a day. They seem to really like each other. It's really sweet.
I was telling a friend the other day, I haven't had a baby animal around in, well, a really long time... The last puppy we got is 11. We seem to get rescues that are older. So, I am really excited to get chicks. I am going to love how 2 girls turns into 10 chickens, if all the eggs hatch. I am crossing my fingers for a few girls in the bunch.

sad.png
The first loss. Maybe earlier today when I picked Bug up and two eggs fell, it must have cracked one of them. I went out to check on her and the egg was pushed out of the nest. So, feeling a little bad, I hope the other egg is ok. Note to self, don't mess with the hen...

Quote:
Darn! I'm sorry. I wish I had thought to mention it to you earlier.

The hen will do the same thing when chicks hatch. I have picked up a broody hen and found little legs sticking out from under her. If I have to pick mama up for some reason, I make sure to count "loose" chicks first. I know the rest are tucked up under her somewhere.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom