Broody Hen with other hens

kerriliane

Songster
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Langley, BC, Canada
I have a broody hen in a nest box in the coop and i swear the other chickens will only lay in the box she's in now!
She has SO many eggs under her (shes a large hen - australorp i believe) that they dont all fit anymore!
Yesterday I caught two hens in there with her.. I was wondering why I've only gotten 2-3 eggs a day this week...
They lay them near her, and she pulls them under her!!
I'm building her a proper nest house today, like I did my other broody.. But now how do I know which eggs to put in with her.. and which ones to leave out? She probably has 15+ under her and some she's been on for a week.. some only a day..... I try to give her treats but she goes alll velociraptor on me so I have to put my sleeve out for her to attack and use the other hand to help her get the eggs back under her after someone rudely lays an egg on her...

I would take all the eggs and candle them. The ones that look the closest let her keep. You could let her keep as many as she can cover, but you will have a staggered hatch. If you have a bator I would take the unhatched eggs and stick the hatched chicks under at night. You need to take her out of the coop ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom