Broody Hen- would like to set eggs under her....

Chick #4 FINALLY made it out of the shell sometime last night/early this morning!! AND it looks like chick #5 is on its way- I found another pipped egg this morning!! :D This is SO fun!!! I can see why people are always setting eggs... Luckily for my DH, I'm limited to setting eggs when a hen goes broody (for now...!).

We ended up with 5 health, happy fuzzy butts! They are now 2.5 weeks old and have all their wing feathers and are FLYING!!! I don't remember my hatchery chicks flying this early last spring!!! I have 1 yellow baby, and 4 black and white ones. Its looking like 2 of the black ones are predominately Barred Rock, and the other 2 are predominately Black Australorp. "Babs" is SUCH a good mama!! Can't wait till they can go outside with the other chickens!!!

woot.gif

So- my chicks are now almost 5 months old... I have been enjoying watching them from "start to finish"... I ended up with 1 pullet and 4 roos (of course!). I will keep the pullet, and possibly one of the roos (he is a mutt, but is GORGEOUS!!! Plus, I have to dispose of one of my roos from last year- he has attacked my 2 year old a few times, and has come after me as well.. so he's bound for the stew pot!!!). Here is a picture of the pretty roo- I think he is a Sexlink (roo)/Barred Rock (hen) cross... Kinda neat coloring and feathering!!! Never seen anything like him! :)

(2 of the chicks I raised from my own eggs, under a broody hen. The yellow one in the back is "Dumb" (headed for Freezer Camp!) and the one in front (Barred Rock/Sexlink) is "Dumber"- planning on keeping him he's so pretty! :) )

LL

Back
Top Bottom