Broody hen

kristina1984

Hatching
Aug 28, 2018
Hello, please help :) we have 9 chickens. One of them became broody and start stitting on her 3 eggs. We candle them and they fertilized. The chicken was sitting in not very good position, as all other was climbing on top of her, so we moved her with the eggs. After that she stopped sitting on them :( another chicken step in and carry sitting on her eggs. Chicks should hatch any day now. My husband build new house for her and her new babies. My question is when do I move them to new home. Should I move before they hatch. I am afraid if I move she will stop sitting on eggs. Do I wait until babies hatched? Thank you very much for any advice.:)

I would wait until you are sure they have all hatched and dried, should be within a couple of days of the first signs of hatching/day 21. Then move all chicks and mother hen in one go in some kind of carry crate if possible to minimise stress. Once the chicks have hatched a mother hen doesn't mind where she is. While they are still brooding eggs they can be very fussy about where the nest is located.

I would wait until you are sure they have all hatched and dried, should be within a couple of days of the first signs of hatching/day 21. Then move all chicks and mother hen in one go in some kind of carry crate if possible to minimise stress. Once the chicks have hatched a mother hen doesn't mind where she is. While they are still brooding eggs they can be very fussy about where the nest is located.
Thank you.Thats what I will do then.I was just afraid that other ckicken will attack babies. We never had babies before, so we not really sure what we doing.Thank you

The babies will usually stay tucked under the mother for the first day of their lives and should be safe from other chickens being nosy. I hope it all goes well!

Back
Top Bottom