Broody Hen

I tried blocking off one broody's nest during the day (all of the other hens preferred nests in another coop) and this what I got. She refused to give up and parked herself outside the coop (right behind her). I felt so sorry for her I let her sit on eggs, and she became a mommy.

View attachment 1589380
Hahahaa!!
Oh dear! Yes I am seeing a bit of that determination at the moment. Outside the pen on a pile of dirt....

Thanks for your reply.
Locking her out is what I’m planning. The girls are all free range during the day and run back to the coop on their own accord to lay and then head back out again to keep foraging. I’m pretty proud of them for that. They get locked in a large pen with their nesting boxes and roosts in a coop within that every night at dinner time.
I’m sorry I didn’t specify, I’m Aussie. We are just starting summer.
So if I lock her out of access from the nesting boxes and encourage her to chill with the other girls as they free range and then let her back in at bedtime do you think this would work as opposed to crating her ? It’s pretty much their routine anyway except for the quick nips back to lay an egg. It’s just that she is staying in all day ...

The only problem with locking a broody out of the nests, is that it locks the other out too.
Get the crate and get it over with.

Back
Top Bottom