Broody Hen?

Probably better check the rest of your birds too, figure out what kind of mites they are.

This should help with that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Check them over real well for mites and/or lice.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

I’ve been treating the others with garlic juice solution and spraying the coop with another solution. Since I started that, I haven’t seen anymore mites on them.

Last edited:
Dust her with permethrin, change out bedding on nest and dust bottom of nest too.
Then replace bedding and dust that too.
Get everything ready first...won't hurt the eggs to be out for a bit.
Alright, I have her in a dog crate in a coop that we weren’t currently using. The floor is covered in hay and there are a couple of unused hay bales in there. Do I need to toss the hay that’s on the floor or just dust it? I’ll go buy the permethrin. Do you know if it will bother baby goats? She is sharing quarters with 2 dwarf Nigerians right now.

I’ll go buy the permethrin. Do you know if it will bother baby goats? She is sharing quarters with 2 dwarf Nigerians right now.
Good move....garlic won't do the trick, as you can now see.
Not sure about goats, but I believe it's toxic to cats.
Goats nor cats should be around the broody,
but do more research before spreading it beyond the broody and her nest.

Good move....garlic won't do the trick, as you can now see.
Not sure about goats, but I believe it's toxic to cats.
Goats nor cats should be around the broody,
but do more research before spreading it beyond the broody and her nest.
Why shouldn't goats be around the broody? They are separated by a cage. I'm just curious. Tonight, I'll move her crate to the regular coop and just put a solid cover over the top so she doesn't get pooped on.

They could disturb her.....mostly my thought was goats will gorge on chicken feed and it can make them fatally ill.
Thanks. They can’t get to the broody. I have organic eggs, will dusting with permethrin have a negative effect on this? I don’t wash my eggs. Do I need to if the coop is dusted with permethrin?

Our eggs should hatch on Sunday or Monday if all is going as planned. Here are pics we candled at day 10.
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG

We candled last night, day 16, but those pics are on my husband's phone and not nearly as clear. I guess because the babies are getting bigger.

I have a question. Our broody girl pooped in her nest and got it in all her eggs. I cleaned the poop out but what do I do about the eggs? Please advise. They should hatch Sunday/Monday.

Back
Top Bottom