Broody hen?

How long has she been doing this? Do you have a rooster? Can you tell if she is still laying eggs or not?
She has been doing this maybe about a month or so, give or take. I do have a rooster with my flock. And I’m not sure if she is laying eggs. I have 19 hens total and I’m not really sure who lays what eggs. I got 15 eggs today though so that means 4 didn’t lay so I guess she could be one of them

She has been doing this maybe about a month or so, give or take. I do have a rooster with my flock. And I’m not sure if she is laying eggs. I have 19 hens total and I’m not really sure who lays what eggs. I got 15 eggs today though so that means 4 didn’t lay so I guess she could be one of them
Understandable. A month is a long time! I am not sure then, maybe when the days get a little longer? I had one act like this and within a week she stopped laying eggs and began sitting.
Does having a rooster have anything to do with a hen going broody?
I'm not sure, many people here though tell of hens going broody with no rooster. So I don't think it affects it that much. I was asking because if you intend to let let her set and rear chicks, you need to have fertile eggs of course.

Understandable. A month is a long time! I am not sure then, maybe when the days get a little longer? I had one act like this and within a week she stopped laying eggs and began sitting.

I'm not sure, many people here though tell of hens going broody with no rooster. So I don't think it affects it that much. I was asking because if you intend to let let her set and rear chicks, you need to have fertile eggs of course.
Ok thank you! I guess time will tell. If she does go completely broody will she need to be separated from the flock for those 21 days?(and days after because the chicks are so little?)

Ok thank you! I guess time will tell. If she does go completely broody will she need to be separated from the flock for those 21 days?(and days after because the chicks are so little?)
I like to separate a broody with a wire wall in the coop while she's incubating, then take down wall about a week after hatch.

When I have a broody I wait until she's been in the nest most the day and all night for 2-3 days...along with those other signs I posted.

Then I put her in the broody enclosure with fake eggs in the floor nest, she won't like being moved, but if she is truly good and broody she will settle onto the new nest within a half a day.
Then I give her fresh fertile eggs and mark the calendar.

I like them separated by wire from the flock, it's just easier all around.
No having to mark eggs and remove any additions daily, no taking up a laying nest, no going back to the wrong nest after the daily constitutional.

Back
Top Bottom