Broody hen?

Hking83

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
It's cold outside and I have one hen that comes in and sits on the couch. She isn't laying any eggs. She has the same attitude she gets when she is broody. She goes out to poop then fights to get back into the house and to her spot. She is around 2 1/2 and the friendliest hen I have. I have only had chickens for as long as I have had her and this is just new behavior. Is she getting old? Is this normal?

It's cold outside and I have one hen that comes in and sits on the couch. She isn't laying any eggs. She has the same attitude she gets when she is broody. She goes out to poop then fights to get back into the house and to her spot. She is around 2 1/2 and the friendliest hen I have. I have only had chickens for as long as I have had her and this is just new behavior. Is she getting old? Is this normal?
A chicken coming into the house and sitting on a couch is not normal. Chickens belong outside.
a broody hen will sit on eggs all day long, only coming off once or twice a day to eat / drink / poop / occasionally dust bathe. They will rear up and hiss and peck at you if you get too close. Some birds will pluck the feathers out of their chests to create humidity when the egg sits against the bare skin.

It wasn't maybe hours after I posted this she got up, went outside and stayed. No more knocking on the door and going crazy to get back inside. She sure made me feel stupid for posting after weeks of doing this.

Back
Top Bottom