Broody hen

Until she's broken, the hen will dirt bathe, hassle a few pals, then zip back to her favorite nest box as if teleported. You swear you just looked away for a blink of an eye, and the broody has disappeared. You find her Velcroed to the nest, therefore, she needs another day in the cage.

The day you let her out for a dirt bath and she remains there and then quietly rejoins her pals instead of zipping back to the nest, she's broken.
So true.

Glad you were keeping an eye on things. At least now you know for sure.
Yes, I stood there and watched. I kind of figured she wouldnt accept them. Shes barely broody, just started plucking her feathers this morning and they're over 2 weeks old but I thought I would try. Right now shes pissed. Screaming, throwing food everywhere, trying to get out of the cage.

Ok, so she laid an egg. Is that normal for broody hens? I took it out as soon as I noticed. Tried to let her out in hopes of her dust bathing, eating, and drinking and no luck. Straight to the nesting box she went. She hasnt eaten or drank anything today. Every time I give her food she throws a fit and throws it everywhere. I even attached it to the side of the crate and she still managed to dump everything.

I'm cracking up over your broody's antics. Brings back fond memories of some borderline psychopathic broodies I've had.

A hen will start going broody before she's finished laying eggs in the cycle leading up to being 100% broody. Usually, you can expect one final egg just as she's getting truly serious about sticking to a nest. Once that final egg is laid, the hen will not want to get off that nest for anything. You have to peal her off and physically restrain her from returning.

I've found that it does no good to start breaking a broody before the final egg is laid. It's all dependent on perfect timing.

I'm cracking up over your broody's antics. Brings back fond memories of some borderline psychopathic broodies I've had.

A hen will start going broody before she's finished laying eggs in the cycle leading up to being 100% broody. Usually, you can expect one final egg just as she's getting truly serious about sticking to a nest. Once that final egg is laid, the hen will not want to get off that nest for anything. You have to peal her off and physically restrain her from returning.

I've found that it does no good to start breaking a broody before the final egg is laid. It's all dependent on perfect timing.
Well, hopefully this was the final egg. Shes truly a handful. I always question if she broody because she hisses and puffs at me daily if I bother her while shes laying. I do think shes serious this time though. Shes super angry. I'll give her food again in the morning but I'm not sure if shes going to be grateful about it. I'm about to just hook up a hamster waterer somehow with a chicken nipple. She was so mad earlier that she put her head under the bowls and started bumping them up to spill everything. When she was done she calming got up and just stared at me. Thinks she grown enough to be a mother to golf ball babies but throws a tantrum when she doesnt get her way.

Sounds so familiar. My most violent broody ever was a Golden-laced Wyandotte named Irene. When she was normal and not hormonal, she hated my guts and would bite me if I tried to reach for the eggs in the nest. But when she went broody, oh lordy, that hen had the explosive potential of a nuclear bomb. She was the only broody hen that ever managed to break out of her broody cage, literally taking it apart. Our defense department could have used her as a secret weapon.

She was the only chicken I didn't grieve over when she finally died of old age.

Sounds so familiar. My most violent broody ever was a Golden-laced Wyandotte named Irene. When she was normal and not hormonal, she hated my guts and would bite me if I tried to reach for the eggs in the nest. But when she went broody, oh lordy, that hen had the explosive potential of a nuclear bomb. She was the only broody hen that ever managed to break out of her broody cage, literally taking it apart. Our defense department could have used her as a secret weapon.
Oh Lord, she hasnt bit me yet but my 5 year old opened the nesting box this morning, chicken started screaming and hissing, she slowly closed it, backed away, and yelled "moooom, somethings not right,"😂😂

Also, shes a production bird. I guess she missed the memo that shes not supposed to go broody and want babies. Her and I had a talk this morning. She kept hissing and screaming at me. I kept yelling back "they're golf balls! And we dont even have a rooster!!" My neighbors probably think I'm crazy.

Back
Top Bottom