Broody Hen

Samblast

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Central Maryland
I believe my hen is broody. She has been in a nesting box for the last few days. I have tried removing her but she just lays on the floor, she doesn’t scream or peck. She hasn’t laid in 4 days and she has been stealing and moving other chickens eggs(she’s also on good balls). There is no rooster involved. Her comb is red and she is still eating/drinking(Rarely). I don’t think she is sick. She is a 4 year old Ameraucana. I don’t have room for more chickens and I don’t really want to to be broody. Anyone have recommendations?

I believe my hen is broody. She has been in a nesting box for the last few days. I have tried removing her but she just lays on the floor, she doesn’t scream or peck. She hasn’t laid in 4 days and she has been stealing and moving other chickens eggs(she’s also on good balls). There is no rooster involved. Her comb is red and she is still eating/drinking(Rarely). I don’t think she is sick. She is a 4 year old Ameraucana. I don’t have room for more chickens and I don’t really want to to be broody. Anyone have recommendations?
If there’s no roo then the eggs won’t be viable so you’ll need to remove them. A lot of people put the hen in “broody jail” which is something like a small area with an open bottom. Almost like a wire crate?

I recommend breaking if you don't want to hatch due to strife in the flock from having to deal with her hormones, and because on rare occasion hens can deteriorate from setting (from not eating, from parasites, etc) to the point they don't recover.

Broody jail: Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.

I am putting her in a dog crate in the chicken run, should I put her on the roast in the coop at night?
Depends on if the cage is safe in that location.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.

Back
Top Bottom