Broody hen

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
I have a broody hen that I let sit on a clutch of eggs...long story short, based on when I gave her the eggs she should be on lockdown mode where she "shouldn't" come off the nest for anything. That true or do they still come off to eat quick then go back on? She came off the nest super late today compared to days past I have noticed. I'm sure she will go back just concerned. As my understanding was lockdown meant not moving for nothing

Thanks all

I have a broody hen that I let sit on a clutch of eggs...long story short, based on when I gave her the eggs she should be on lockdown mode where she "shouldn't" come off the nest for anything. That true or do they still come off to eat quick then go back on? She came off the nest super late today compared to days past I have noticed. I'm sure she will go back just concerned. As my understanding was lockdown meant not moving for nothing

Thanks all
Lockdown is a method you use when incubating eggs in an incubator. The hen should know what to do. My broody hens will get off to eat and drink even while her babies are hatching. They can be out for as much as an hour without concern. I'm sure she didn't just get off and forget about them! I worried about the same things with my first broody hen, but their hormones usually tell them what to do. While she is off the nest is a good time to candle the eggs, look for signs of pipping, listen to the eggs for chirping, and smelling the eggs to throw out rotten ones that aren't going to make it.
Just make sure that if her chicks start hatching there is food and a shallow water dish near by for the chicks, and watch her behavior. I had a broody hen that hatched out 4 chicks early and then the others that hatched she killed because they came out a different color/she already had the other ones and wasn't that good of a mom, except to the 4 she cared for. And she should go back to the nest and sit on the eggs while the others are still hatching out, they usually don't all hatch at the same time.

Lockdown is a method you use when incubating eggs in an incubator. The hen should know what to do. My broody hens will get off to eat and drink even while her babies are hatching. They can be out for as much as an hour without concern. I'm sure she didn't just get off and forget about them! I worried about the same things with my first broody hen, but their hormones usually tell them what to do. While she is off the nest is a good time to candle the eggs, look for signs of pipping, listen to the eggs for chirping, and smelling the eggs to throw out rotten ones that aren't going to make it.
Ok. I mean it makes sense. First time she went broody at this stage she I think that I recall came off once and I panicked because they were cold. But from what I observed that was the only time at this stage she seemingly refused to move.

I was also told now is not really the time to touch the eggs as it could cause a late death. Not sure if that's an old farmers tale I was told but this time I haven't touched any of her eggs...only lifted her for a split second to count to see if she had more than she started.

Ok. I mean it makes sense. First time she went broody at this stage she I think that I recall came off once and I panicked because they were cold. But from what I observed that was the only time at this stage she seemingly refused to move.
Some hens will stay on her babies if she knows they're hatching. But if they're hungry or want water they'll get up for a minute. You can always provide food and water next to the nest.

Momma Hen still needs food, water and a poop and will leave the nest. As mentioned "lockdown" is a term created for humans who are incapable of just letting their incubator sit in the last few days and not ruining everything by opening it... thankfully, Hens are much more prepared than humans are at hatching chicks.

Let her do her thing, she will be fine if the eggs are viable.

I was also told now is not really the time to touch the eggs as it could cause a late death. Not sure if that's an old farmers tale I was told but this time I haven't touched any of her eggs...only lifted her for a split second to count to see if she had more than she started.
You certainly don't have to take the eggs and handle them. I'd just look for pipping and make sure you don't smell a rotten egg. If they're on day 18 or higher then don't candle until past day 23.

You certainly don't have to take the eggs and handle them. I'd just look for pipping and make sure you don't smell a rotten egg. If they're on day 18 or higher then don't candle until past day 23.
For some if not all the eggs she has are on day 18 maybe one or two day 17. She acquired a few more the second day and I dated them. I however again haven't handled them at all this time. Now the one thing I found odd this time was occasionally I'd go out to see a broken egg and her beak was wet. I'm assuming she broke unviable eggs? The first time she went broody I only gave her 4 and all 4 hatched. So this experience is new to me. Anyone have experience with this? I asked my neighbor whom has had chickens for a long time ans he was perplexed on this himself.

The hen is not going to abandon the nest because you touched the eggs. As long as you don't damage the eggs you should not harm them but there is nothing you can do to make anything better. I leave them alone figuring I do less harm by staying out of the broody hens' way.

I killed a chick once by lifting a hen to see what color of chicks she hatched. Sometimes chicks crawl up under the feathers or under the wings. When I picked the broody up I crushed a chick that was under the wing. I'll still pick a broody hen up if I have a need, but it has to be a need, not just curiosity. And I'm careful.

Back
Top Bottom