Broody hen

Loopy lou

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2021
Hi, I have a young silky female chicken who has gone broody. I got 3 fertilised eggs for her to sit on which she has now for approx 21 days. I don't think they will hatch, how long should I leave her to sit on them? And once I remove them will she just stop being broody? Don't know what to do as this is my first time having chickens (but loving it!). Thank you for your advice.

Hi, I have a young silky female chicken who has gone broody. I got 3 fertilised eggs for her to sit on which she has now for approx 21 days. I don't think they will hatch, how long should I leave her to sit on them? And once I remove them will she just stop being broody? Don't know what to do as this is my first time having chickens (but loving it!). Thank you for your advice.
some times, the chicks can hatch a day or 2 early, or they can hatch a day or 2 late

Did you candle them at any point?

How sure are you they were fertile?
I candled one and that seemed to be fertile compared to the others but that was when I first got them for her. I've not checked since incase she rejected them 🤷She has rolled them in and out of her nest bless her, so I'm pretty sure they won't hatch. I just don't know how long to leave them and will she be ok if they don't hatch?
why do you think they won't hatch?
and welcome to BYC :frow !
Thank you 🤗and because she has rolled them in and out the nest and when I candled them when I got them it looked to me like only one could be fertile. However, I am inexperienced so I could be wrong, hence why Ive not removed them. I'm more worried about her if they don't hatch and what I need to do to help her.

she will probably work it out for herself in due course, if you don't want to break her. I think the smell of a rotting egg would drive her off - I've had that happen once. Also, the repeated cooling off from rolling the eggs out of the nest could have slowed the incubation process and you may get a hatch up to 4 or 5 days after the 'due' date of 21 days for a normal incubation, so I don't give up till the broody's given up.

she will probably work it out for herself in due course, if you don't want to break her. I think the smell of a rotting egg would drive her off - I've had that happen once. Also, the repeated cooling off from rolling the eggs out of the nest could have slowed the incubation process and you may get a hatch up to 4 or 5 days after the 'due' date of 21 days for a normal incubation, so I don't give up till the broody's given up.
Thank you So much for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom