Broody hen

If she’s out and about all day, then you don’t have a serious broody. She may just like sleeping in the nest. Let it get good and dark and physically place her on the roost.
She is out but mostly paces around the coop trying to find a way in. I’m glad she’s not seriously broody. I didn’t raise her so she doesn’t let me touch her. None of the three do. I can only pick her up when she’s in the box and she usually bites me first. Lol

I had to break a broody last week. I used a pet carrier with some pine shavings and clipped little parakeet-style feed and water containers to the inside of the door. She would eat and drink a bit from those but I also took her out to walk around a few times per day and offered her other snacks to encourage her to eat more. Took around 3 days of that and she stopped being puffy and making the weird broody grunts. I realize some hens might be kept broody by being in a small covered space or by the shavings, but mine was fixated on eggs and where she knew they got laid, not the bedding to make a nest. That particular setup let her un-broody herself while not being too distressed about it.

Yes. Sleep on the roosting bar and don’t allow access to the nest at night with a broody. They are very aggravating.
Ok great. Thanks so much for your help. I’ve been letting the other two girls inside the coop during the day when they go near the door so they can nest. When I do this is when it upsets the broody one. Should I just keep all three out of the coop during the day? is it bad to keep the other two out during the day?

I had to break a broody last week. I used a pet carrier with some pine shavings and clipped little parakeet-style feed and water containers to the inside of the door. She would eat and drink a bit from those but I also took her out to walk around a few times per day and offered her other snacks to encourage her to eat more. Took around 3 days of that and she stopped being puffy and making the weird broody grunts. I realize some hens might be kept broody by being in a small covered space or by the shavings, but mine was fixated on eggs and where she knew they got laid, not the bedding to make a nest. That particular setup let her un-broody herself while not being too distressed about it.
Thank you so much for the advise. If what I’m doing doesn’t work I will definitely see if I can borrow my neighbors pet carrier.

Back
Top Bottom