Broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Katy_didnot, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Katy_didnot

Katy_didnot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Yes, yet another poster who is unhappily housing a broody hen. Why, oh why would a chicken think that January is a good time to bring chicks into the world? Not that we have a rooster anyway, so it's a mute point.

Anyway, if left to thier own devices, how long will a chicken sit on an empty nest before she gives it up?
    I don't feel compelled to do anything to change her mind. I figure she'll give up eventually.
    Right?

Cathrine

2. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    depends on several things. I know some breeds are alot less likely to stay it out and often leave the eggs and stop brooding after a couple days/weeks. Others will try and try!

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    When my silkie hen tries to brood her eggs, as well as everybiddy else's, I wait till she need food/water (a few hours, maybe a day or two) then I snatch the eggs. Or I Just grab any eggs an hour after she lays, so she cant get a clutch. Is your hen smallish? you can wear some gloves and a thick shirt to protect you from pecks, pick her up, and grab the eggs.

But then, some birds will just never learn. My little phoenix sat on 13 eggs for 8 WEEKS before i just tossed 'em.

4. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I don't see an occasional broody hen as a problem. I have a few BOs and they are forever going broody even in winter and even though I don't have any roos either. I just take a broom and knock them off the nest. If they're there the next time I knock them off again. No sense in humoring them when I know the eggs aren't fertile!

5. Katy_didnot

Katy_didnot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Beaverton, Oregon
    My girl is a Buff Orpington. I don't let her keep any of the eggs for more that a couple of hours (Not enough coming at this time of year for me to spare them:) ).
    She doesn't peck me though and when I take the eggs I put her out of the nest.
    So I guess she'll give up when she gives up?
    I suppose my concern is that she's not out eating. Seem like she should be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by