Broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by epona4, Apr 30, 2010.

1. epona4

epona4 Songster

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Not sure if I'm posting this on the correct board. If not, sorry.

We have a broody Sussex in the coop. Not sure how many eggs she's on at this point but I do know it's a mix of all the other girls' eggs. Should/could I move her to a separate coop? Nest box and all? Would she be better off? We are still new to this (Only a year+ with chickens) and this is our first broody. Any advice would be appreciated!

Also have a broody Pilgrim goose who is going on week 3 on 10 eggs. Some her's. Some the American Buff's. [​IMG]

Beth

2. Why and Dotte

Why and Dotte Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    I'd move the broody to a different nest, I'm not brave enough to leave a broody in the nest with the hens. I have my girl set up in a large dog cage, in the coop with the hens so they all get used to the babies without the physical interaction. Others may say different but it's what works for me. I kept her cage mostly covered up for the majority of the time.
    ETA
    She won't eat very often so you'll need to take her out once a day to eat, drink and poop

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  3. Yes, move her to a private location. Sounds like you have a nest box that is easily moved, good. I also have single boxes. When I move a broody, I do it at night and cover the opening in the nest box with a peice of cardboard. That seems to stress them least.

You don`t have to take them out for feed and eliminations as suggested. When they need to, they will. Just have food and water in the same pen with her, but not too close. Things will be fine. Good luck........Pop

4. epona4

epona4 Songster

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I will be able to move the nest box...but she'll need to be out of the box before I can do that. Will it freak her out if I take her out of the box? Will she get back on after I move it?

I did realize that I have the perfect place for her to be. So I won't have to build a new coop area in the barn. And there will be a door I will screen off with hardware cloth so the other chickens and the babies can get acquainted without being in the same area.

Thanks for your advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: