Broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lovable Chicks, May 30, 2011.

1. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I have a BR who is going broody. My question is that she don't stay on the nest alot...she gets off or we take her off and she will eat and go outside for a few hours but then will go back to the nesting box. She fights with the others who go to lay and in the 'struggle' has broke some eggs. I have caught her in the box at night. Should I separate her and see what happens? We don't have a rooster so thought about getting her some eggs but want to be sure she is going to stay broody first...don't have incubator.

THANKS

Here is a pic I just took of her on the nest..
    [​IMG]

And another one of her telling me to leave her alone...LOL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    For the sake of unbroken eggs, you could seperate her. Also, if she's getting up that much she is not yet in what I call full-tilt broody stage. She may still be trying to decide, go broody or not.

3. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    She's broody-ish. Enough to be annoying but not enough to hatch. Good luck with whichever way you try to nudge her.

4. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Just came in from being outside since 6 and Miss Broody BR was on the nest the entire time. She clucks and fans her feathers when off the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by