Broody Hen?

CTGirls

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
CT
Do they get aggressive just before going broody? She has been acting fresh for a few days. Today she was in the nest box for over 4 hours, all puffed up and flat. When I opened it she made a funny noise. I took her off and there was her egg. The other hen's egg was out of the box though. Do they still share their box when they are broody? Will they sit on other hen's eggs?

If your wanting to know if she's broody observe her when she's on the nest. If her head is up and looking around she's just laying an egg. If she has her head down and looks focused and stressed she's broody. Also put an egg next to her within beak reach. A broody hen will scoop it up and put it under her while a laying hen won't.

Hi, I've got a silky bantam that is broody more often than not and now she's getting bullied by the 2 bigger red chooks...besides separating or giving the bantam away I would appreciate any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hi, I've got a silky bantam that is broody more often than not and now she's getting bullied by the 2 bigger red chooks...besides separating or giving the bantam away I would appreciate any suggestions?

What you do is build a small separate pen for your Silkie and when she's broody put her int there. When she's done being broody take her out. It can be as simple as a large upside down bin with a chicken door cut into it would work.

Back
Top Bottom