broody hen

oscar 1102

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Hi this is Oscar, new to chickens, I love them though. We have a hen that was sitting on her eggs til they were almost hatched when crows, I think got in and destroyed her eggs. Quite to our dismay and shock. We really wanted these little guys to hatch and felt bad for her. She is a Game hen , very loyal to her nest. Anyway, she went and started sitting on some other eggs that were close by that we had not retrieved yet to take in house. She has been on these eggs for over a month, I know they probably were fertilized because they should have hatched by now, right? I took her off them to make her go outside, she went nuts to get back inside and the other hens were very mean to her. Should we buy some little chicks to put under her for her effort at least, or take the eggs out and hope she goes back outside to interact again? We want what is best for her. Fast response would be apprciated. Thank you,

Hi
If you want her to start interacting with other chickens,it will be quite difficult since the pecking order will have to be re established and she MIGHT be right on the bottom(not something you want).normally after she hatches chicks,she will care for them for less than 2 months before the roosters find interest in her again and the cycle is repeated.
I would advise you to buy day old chicks and place them under her ONLY AND ONLY AT NIGHT.in this way there is little chance of her disregarding the chicks.make sure you buy not only one because as that chick is growing and the mother abandons it it will be lonely.
If you cannot buy the chicks,let the hen sit on the eggs.she will decide herself to abandon the eggs and she will begin laying soon.
Good luck

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, oscar 1102, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community!

There are things you can do to "break a broody," but I think she deserves to have a couple chicks to mother - if you can find some newborns(hopefully small breed) to put under her - she will feel fulfilled.

Back
Top Bottom