Broody hen???

Chicken Boy1234

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
I have a pekin bantam who I think is going broody. When she lays eggs she makes broody noises, she even pecks me. Tonight, I noticed that she was sitting in the nesting boxes on the eggs. Is she going broody? (She has the option of perches in her coop)

When she lays eggs she makes broody noises, she even pecks me. Tonight, I noticed that she was sitting in the nesting boxes on the eggs. Is she going broody? (She has the option of perches in her coop)
Usually. . . . a quits hen laying, before she goes broody and starts to set. Natures way of making sure everybody gets out of the shell, within a short time span. If a hen kept laying, while setting, the hatch would be too staggered and the early hatches would die, waiting for the rest to hatch, or, the hen would leave the nest with the early hatch, and the remaining eggs would die.
She may be getting close to being broody, but she's not there yet.

I have a pekin bantam who I think is going broody. When she lays eggs she makes broody noises, she even pecks me. Tonight, I noticed that she was sitting in the nesting boxes on the eggs. Is she going broody? (She has the option of perches in her coop)
My Pekin bantam is "thinking" about going broody all the time, but so far hasn't gone broody. Its annoying because I really want to incubate some eggs,

But no, she sits & lays & screams if anything gets to close. She talks to the eggs to. Give it an hour or 2 & she'll be out in the run enjoying the sunshine
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom