Broody Hen

katebrackley

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 25, 2014
I have just hatched some 2 week old Pekins. I already have 3 hybrid hens of which one has decided she is broody since yesterday. Was wondering if I could put the chicks with her? I am not sure how I would do it as she pecks at me as soon as I go near her!! Also my other two hens are not laying. Why is that?

Please help anyone as not as experienced as I thought!!!

First I want to say
welcome-byc.gif

I have the have the same problem with my buff orpington Ducky who since yesterday has spent every waking hour ( even sleeping in the nesting box) sitting on her egg but yesterday afternoon I took the egg out thinking she would realize her egg wasn't in there anymore that was a mistake she didn't lay an egg today and is proudly acting like the fake egg in the nesting box is her baby.
big_smile.png
She also hisses most funny thing ever.
lau.gif
gig.gif

I have just hatched some 2 week old Pekins. I already have 3 hybrid hens of which one has decided she is broody since yesterday. Was wondering if I could put the chicks with her? I am not sure how I would do it as she pecks at me as soon as I go near her!! Also my other two hens are not laying. Why is that?

Please help anyone as not as experienced as I thought!!!

I think it would be risky to give chicks to a broody who has only been broodying for 1 day. Also, I would only give her chicks that are about 1 week old. 2 weeks might be too big to fool her.

That's what I thought ! Why have my other two stopped laying?? Very confused!!

Is it possible they are contributing secretly to the broody's nest? It is recommended to separate a broody to prevent this from happening, since the chicks will hatch staggered and she will eventually abandon the nest after so many hatch.

how old are the hens? sometimes they stop laying for a while before they show signs of molting

Back
Top Bottom