Broody Hen's Eggs on Day 9 *HATCH COMPLETE* w/ PICS ~post #21~

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Dusty, one of my blue Orp ladies, is broody after raising chicks three months ago. She is on Day 9 and we candled this morning. All the eggs are developing perfectly. She has three BBS Orps, three Barred Rocks, and one test Delaware egg from my very young cockerel with my year old Del hen.
At day five, Dusty somehow crushed a Barred Rock egg, which was also fertile. Had to quickly make up a new nest for her while she was on break and was forced to wipe off a couple of the eggs with a warm damp cloth because they had some yolk on them. In the three BBS Orp eggs is one of my older blue hen's, which have not been fertile for months. I'm very pleased that it shows wonderful veining, too. So, we are settled in to wait till about July 20.

Last edited:
I have a Day 19 pip! My Delaware egg under Dusty is pipped already. This is my first Delaware baby from my own flock, too, a fertility test for Isaac with my year-old Del hen, Kira.
smile.png

My DH found a very chilly Delaware baby running around chirping while mama sat on the remaining six eggs. It's 52 degrees this morning! Brrr! He tucked it back under her and we see zipping and pipping under there, but she is one mean mama, unlike my sweetie Glenda, who lets us do anything at all with her and her babies, or we'd know how many were pipped. Today is Day 20.

Back
Top Bottom