Broody hens hatching 6/22, 6/26, 7/3, 7/6, 7/11 Any one due w/ us

Quote:

Thank you maf2008.
update on wheaten marans eggs 2 eggs have piped
wee.gif

I sure hope all 4 are good with chicks no more rotten eggs.
My hens that are setting were miserable in the heat, the one hen due 7/11 has broke some of her eggs she has 8 of 11 now.
I'm thinking about putting ice under the 3 with no eggs to break them up, if the others with eggs stay with it will just have to wait and see. Husband and me were talking about what would be better for them as a broody set up. I said if a person had a small building that could be set up for broodys only you could put in a small window ac unit and keep it at around 80 deg would be great.
With wire type pens to set them in with nest / food - water room to poop stretch legs and wings. Then when the hatch was done move hen with chicks to her outside brooder pen.
I need to win the lottery LOL
ya.gif

Okie hen, glad your eye is better. My hatch is all done. The last 2 did not hatch...they never developed. So we have 4 chicks and they seem to be doing fine....see pics....the first one is my mutt chick, I think....all the others look like pure australorps.

DSCF6125.jpg

DSCF60981.jpg

DSCF6134.jpg

clap.gif
woods congrats very cute chicks great pictures
clap.gif

thank you woods

I have one wheaten marans hatched and the other has started to zip
jumpy.gif
still no pips on the other 2
fl.gif

Well my scovy eggs are due today and one hen only has 4 under her. One I threw out and the other she must of ate as all that's left is shell. I see nothing pipped under her. The other hen has 6 under her and when I cheep at her she looks down at herself like something under her is moving or trying to but she is sitting tight and I can't see a thing.
barnie.gif

Update... My restuffing the partridge rock chicks under the broody turkeys WORKED this time. They've accepted them and all is well. Now if they'd just climb off the darn nest and relax... But one step at a time. All three babies are happy and busy and look cute perched on top of Mommas. It's HOT.

My little white hen is sitting on 6 eggs that I was given by a man who raises Orphingtons, Armenians, and a few other breeds. When I went to him for fertilized eggs, he told me to take what I wanted of the day's gathering. He assumed all were fertilized because he has several roos. I took the 6 largest ones. Betty, the hen's name, has been a dedicated broody. I put the eggs on straw in a pet taxi and she has been sitting there, coming out twice a day to take a dust bath, get some food and water, and yell at my other 3 hens. They are due to hatch tomorrow.

Tonight I put the taxi with her inside in a medium sized wire dog kennel with small mesh wire attached to a height of 8 inches all around. Made a roof for it and shaded the only side that will get sun. I put in a chick waterer and a small dish of laying mash. I left the pet taxi door open inside the kennel, and the kennel door open so that she can get out. I'm new to this. Should I close the door to the kennel? Should I lift her, nest and all, out of the pet taxi?

It is on the ground on a piece of plywood in the chicken enclosure. The other hens are closed up in the house for the night. Any advice would be appreciated. I bought chick feed today and I'm hoping, but I don't really know if the eggs were fertile. If they hatch, it will be fun seeing what kind of babies they are. I'll post a photo.

Bobo welcome, cant wait to see the pictures.
I would keep the kennel door closed till she is up and ready to take them out. Leave her nest alone till she is done.
Best of luck.

walks you have to get pictures glad your chicks are in place.

cluckychick
fl.gif
best of luck hope you get a great hatch.

My hen #2 that has andalusian chicks 4weeks old has started laying eggs again and is not clucking at the chicks shes back in the main coop now. I'll have that tractor to use if hen # 7 gets a hatch.
I have chicks I need to move around, my wheaten marans are 6 weeks old I would like to get them on the ground.
The 2 remaining marans eggs in the bator haven't done a thing I'll give them a few more days then I'm chucking them.
I have 3 hens still setting in egg-less nest I put ice under them last night in hopes that they will give it up. The andalusian hen did give it up. My husband said give them some eggs, I said I would if it wasn't so hot and I had a place to move them. I've been having to check under them to collect eggs and I know I would have to every day with more eggs getting broke.
I still have 5 hens setting eggs tight
fl.gif
in hopes that they hatch all they can.

Cute babies matt thanks for sharing and boy do the turkey babies grow fast.

Its day 18 for my blk australorp hen # 7 setting on wsxbr project eggs I set her with 18 I'm pretty sure she is down to 11 eggs.
So far so good.
I had to toss the last 2 marans eggs so I only got 1 chick from 2 hatching.
I set my incubator today with my eggs just couldn't stand it setting with no eggs LOL I set it full 42 eggs they are 1 doz of each welsummer & andalusian, 11 lakenvelder, and I set 1 egg from my slw hen crossed with the andalusian roosters and 6 from the ws x br cross. So 21 days is July 21st. I have a new led pen light for a candler cant wait to use it.

I still need to take pictures.

I now have another broody to add to the list...sigh. She stole some of the eggs from my other broody Cochin and made a nest about 6" away from her. They're due along with my white Silkie next week.

Back
Top Bottom