Broody hens hatching 6/22, 6/26, 7/3, 7/6, 7/11 Any one due w/ us

They're pipping!!!
wee.gif
I'm going to have July 4th babies!!! Independent chickens!
wee.gif

I have to stay away from the broodies. I'm like a nervous father in a hospital waiting room. Pics soon!

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
for all that are hatching.

Hen # 8 has chicks hatching
wee.gif

today is day 20 for hen's #8 & 9.
I don't hear or see anything from #9 yet.
Hen #7 didnt get any to hatch I put her back in the main coop today is 23 days for her she only had 3 eggs left under her.

I see that hen # 10 that is at day 15 is down to 6 eggs now.

I still have 3 egg-less hens .

wee.gif
Two out and the other two are pipped!! The two out are still kinda wet and mama gives me the stink eye and a stab everytime I try to take a peek.

It started raining her about 2:00 a.m. and what a downpour it was! I went out to check this morning and the nest boxes that broodys are sitting in had a single drip, drip, drip leak. One poor mama was sitting directly under that leak and it was right over the top of the head. Just goes to show you how dedicated a broody can be. I moved her eggs and then her over to a dry spot and went to church. When I came home, two of them had broken out.

DSCN0300.jpg

DSCN0299.jpg

Last edited:
I have guinea eggs due on 7/10. Anybody still hanging in? This is only my second time trying to hatch eggs. I tried to hatch shipped goose eggs last month, and none were any good. These are eggs from my own guineas, so hopefully things will be better this time!

Update hen # 8 has took her chicks for there first walk she has 3 chicks from my blue cross eggs. The 4 eggs are still in the nest
hu.gif

Hen #9 not a sound I not expecting anything from them now.
But I'll give them a little more time.

Its day 16 for the other 2 hens.

If theses girls dont hatch any I'm going to set them other girls.

Quote:
Yippiee!!!
big_smile.png

Lots o' chickees!!!

Hatch results: 7/6/09
6 of 12 Welsummers
5 of 6 Blue Andalusians
8 of 14 Buff Orpingtons
13 of 13 Welbars

All appear to be healthy and full of life!

Stately Blue Andies:Black, Blue, or Splash???
These chicks were so funny when still in the bator.
They would all stand and watch you as you looked in the window at them.
You couldn't tell who was looking at who!
26354_andies_buffies_wellies_7609_026.jpg

13 Welbars with 6 Welsummers mixed in:
26354_andies_buffies_wellies_7609_035.jpg

Cute Little Wellies:
26354_andies_buffies_wellies_7609_037.jpg

Beautiful Buffies:
26354_andies_buffies_wellies_7609_043.jpg

Last edited:
freebird wow you done great, your andies are 1 blue 2 blk 2 splash.
Wish you would of got more wellies. Did you open the unhatched eggs?
How are you going to tell the difference in the welbars and the pures?

I candled my eggs in the bator at day 7 today, wow I love my new candler , All look good but 4 I'm going to recheck them at day 10.

#9 hen I put her out she had 1 egg left under her so 0 hatch for her.
I have looked back at the weather for June temps for the days the hens were setting eggs. From day 5 / 7 to days 14 / 15 the temps were 99 to 101 degs with 110 to 115 heat index, I fill that this is a big factor in the rotten eggs under so many of my broodys.
Next year I hope all the girls will brood early when the temps stay at around 85 to 90.

If at all possible it would be great to have a building set up for broodys with a window air con to keep the temps at a comfortable 85. I know the hens would hatch more eggs this way.

2 hens left to go will just have to wait and see on them.

Back
Top Bottom