Broody hens hatching 6/22, 6/26, 7/3, 7/6, 7/11 Any one due w/ us

Quote:
We're real happy to have these chicks!
smile.png

The postal service is rough on eggs and these were no exception.
I forget how many, but several of the Wellie eggs had floating bubbles.
4 Wellie eggs never started. 2 quit in the last week, probably around day 17 or 18.
sad.png
But a few of the chicks that had floating air sacks and made it just fine. 1 had a VERY thin shell on one end and cracked at my first candling before starting them. We used melted candle wax to seal it and a little ran down one side. I tried to very lightly scratch the excess wax off and it cracked some more so we sealed that crack as well. Never thought it would make it because it lost so much moisture. Almost a third of the egg candled as air but it did just great. I learned something from this. I've been weighing our eggs to track moisture loss and with the weight losses I've seen between different colored eggs and this thin shelled egg I am convinced that the egg color and thickness makes a huge difference in moisture loss.

The Andies faired much better in shipping (probably because they were smaller in size). 1 quit in the first week, but the other 5 did great!

The Buffies did well in shipping for the most part. 4 were no starters. 1 pipped and had bright red blood at the pip hole and we thought it would drown him and figured he had little chance anyway but we opened the shell enough to make sure he didn't drown. He was too weak to finish pipping and we left him hoping the bleeding would stop. He made it through the night still in most of his shell and we helped him out. He was very weak so we got some electrolytes down him and with the hour he was much better. A few more hours and more drink and he was up and going. He's doing great!
1 other Buffie was pipped and appeared to have drowned. It was the only egg that had any excess moisture.
1 Buffie was zipping good when the other chicks rolled him face down and he was perfect and just gave up zipping. We lost that one.
sad.png

We have zip tied and sharpie marked the Wellies to keep track of them amongst the Welbars.
Thanks for confirming the colors. Now tell us which ones are roos!
hmm.png

So sorry to hear #7 gave up on the Welbar eggs. We were so hoping to compare them with ours. Hope you'll try again.

Sorry to make this so long but it's hard for me to find time to message much. Anyway this is how I learn things.

Lots of great hatches! Congrats to all the new arrivals!

Today is day 20 for my first try in the 'bator, and so far no signs of life. I'm trying not to be anxious but I'm really hoping to wake up tomorrow to some pips! The hatchery chicks in the brooder are 12 days old and so cute...can't wait to see if they're going to have some coopmates.

Quote:
Be patient Chickpeaz. That first little pip will be so exciting!
This is the toughest part of it all. And the anxiousness grows...
wink.png

Wishing the little ones the best.

Edited to say that homeschoolers are the greatest!!!

Last edited:
Thanks, Freebird. We love homeschooling -- and we love it when people love us for it!
smile.png
Your compliment is much appreciated.

...still trying so hard to be patient... forget boiling pots, I think the saying should be "A watched egg never hatches!"

so far I have hatched:

1 of 7 Welsummers
3 of 4 Andies
1 of 1 Lakenvelder

These are the 12 that remain of the original 18 Okiehen sent me...I pulled 6 duds after my candlings on days 8 and 11. I left all 7 Wellies in because I really couldn't tell what I was looking at in the darker egg so I'm not sure what to expect with them. Just hoping none explode.
sickbyc.gif

The last andie pipped quite a while ago but no progress for some time. The Wellies are not really doing anything that I can see...I'm hoping for night hatches. And that Golden Lakenvelder is GORGEOUS, even all wet and scrawny s/he has a beautiful sheen. I'm going to have to get some more of those! The kids and I are completely addicted -- even hubby has been enthusiastic about this -- we are definitely going to hatch again soon.

Will update in the morning with another count and some pics!

Both of my broodies started hatching chicks last Tuesday...2 days early...on the trailer in the middle of us moving to our new house!!
he.gif

OMGosh, Kelly -- sounds like an adventure! Is everyone doing ok despite getting started on the road?

We have a total of 8 this morning -- the last Andie hatched, as did two more Wellies. I'll leave the remaining 4 Wel. eggs in for another day or so but I'm not hopeful -- no pips or anything yet. I am thrilled with 8 -- that's a 45% hatch rate for my first hatching attempt, with shipped eggs, in a homemade 'bator. I'm very proud and happy today!

I had a hen go broody a few weeks ago and was sitting on a wooden egg. I don't have a rooster so I got some from a friend who does. 21 days will be Friday, July 17. Last week I found her off the nest and back sitting on the wooden egg. Not sure how long she was off (no longer than 1 day). Will this affect the eggs hatching?
this is my first hatch (bet you knew that though).

Lori

Back
Top Bottom