christiechic

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
I am hoping someone can give me some advice on a situation I have currently. I have three broody Silky Chickens who are just shy of a year old. Out of 11 eggs one has already hatched and beenMoved to my bathroom. The other two in that grouping didn’t hatch after 28 days. Initially I brought one of the three moms in with the new baby. Then I noticed that one of the moms had a funny growth on her cheek which has turned out to be Fowl pox... she’s been separated from the rest of the flock. The other two are still up in the same nest box sitting on the rest of the eggs that have been growing. There are five that were still viable as of yesterday when I went up to candle them. I noticed this morning that one of those Broodys has a spot starting on her cheek/mouth too. My instinct was to buy an incubator- thank you amazon for same day shipping. My plan was to move the eggs into an incubator to finish out their hatch. I don’t know if there are “rules” on how to safely move the eggs. I don’t believe the hens were infected when the eggs were laid. The small pox has come up just in the last week. The first cycle of eggs were laid the last week of September, Then the following two weeks after. I can’t find anything in these forums specific to my predicament- hoping and praying for some sage advice. As for the infected ones I’ve already started them on some rooster booster. I have vetRx if the one hen starts seeming as though she’s having trouble breathing. I’ve read to pick off the scabs but am afraid of hurting her...?

Leave the scabs alone. You will only spread it, and prolong the healing.. It will run it's course in about 6 weeks. It's a virus transmitted by mosquitoes or by contact with the lesions. I wouldn't worry as long as they can eat and drink. I personally might just let the hatch. Otherwise just remove the eggs and move to a properly set up incubator. Be aware hatching in an incubator isn't a simple thing sometimes.

Leave the scabs alone. You will only spread it, and prolong the healing.. It will run it's course in about 6 weeks. It's a virus transmitted by mosquitoes or by contact with the lesions. I wouldn't worry as long as they can eat and drink. I personally might just let the hatch. Otherwise just remove the eggs and move to a properly set up incubator. Be aware hatching in an incubator isn't a simple thing sometimes.
Thank you for responding- last night when I went up to ck on the moms and their eggs- I was actually able to see one of the eggs wiggling a little and I heard peeping. This morning I didn’t hear anything. I’m so new to this part of raising chickens, and of course I want things to go smoothly. I will just let nature take it’s course on this one and let the moms do their work! The other chicken with the pox looks almost like it’s starting to go away.

Back
Top Bottom