Broody hens in the snow!

The temperature that matters most in this case is what the hen can ensure while actually incubating and how low the egg temperature goes when she leaves nest to replenish herself. I have had hen successfully incubate even when ambient temperature was below 0 F. Key to success hen spent very little time off nest when she went to defecate, eat and drink. That means those resources need to be close and easy to consume. Investing time with social interactions is a distraction.
She didn't stay off the nest for more than 4 minutes! I was glad to see that. My hen with spurs attacked her as soon as she come out the coop and it stressed her she went and took a big poop and went back in.

Typically I like to keep feed well away from nesting broody hens as that can attract predators by smell. Your situation overrides that, especially if bad guys cannot get in.
Yes there is no way anything not even a snake can get in. My coop can hold up to 10 birds but I only have 3 birds my run is really big with it enclosed from the weather, so I have 2 feedees and 2 waterers. So they will leave her be now

I've seen relatively small hens cover an obnoxious number of eggs and I've seen large ones barely manage a few. I think some of it comes down to how well they contort themselves.

Now - Here's the thing about too many eggs. She will move all those eggs around the nest multiple times a day.

If there are any that aren't properly covered - if you can see the eggs while she's on the nest - I would take a couple out. If you boot her from the nest for her poop/eat/drink break, feel and make sure each egg is warm. If any are cold, there are too many.

Reason being - because each egg gets moved, each egg will end up in the cold spot which could in turn kill embryo after embryo after embryo.

If they're all the same temperature when you take her off, things should go fine.
This reminded me of my Silkie, Stormy. She flattened herself, and spread out her wings, to cover 9 eggs! She is the only Silkie we have. Obviously, she couldn't keep all the eggs warm, to successfully hatch them. She was so cute and determined though!😂😂

This reminded me of my Silkie, Stormy. She flattened herself, and spread out her wings, to cover 9 eggs! She is the only Silkie we have. Obviously, she couldn't keep all the eggs warm, to successfully hatch them. She was so cute and determined though!😂😂
Silkies are so cute I have never owned them! I hear they have great personalities

Silkies are so cute I have never owned them! I hear they have great personalities
They are great! We got her as a rescue, and now I want more😍 I was worried about our flock bulling her, but then I saw her defend herself😳😂 she jumped on the offending hen's back, and gave her several pecks until the hen ran away😂😂 Stormy is adorable, and doesn't take crap from any of our hens. She also decided she wanted our lead cockerel, Omen, to mate her. He is a Black Australorp, and quite a bit bigger than our other cockerel. I really don't think they will successfully mate, but it's funny to see her chase off another hen, so Omen will mate her instead😂

They are great! We got her as a rescue, and now I want more😍 I was worried about our flock bulling her, but then I saw her defend herself😳😂 she jumped on the offending hen's back, and gave her several pecks until the hen ran away😂😂 Stormy is adorable, and doesn't take crap from any of our hens. She also decided she wanted our lead cockerel, Omen, to mate her. He is a Black Australorp, and quite a bit bigger than our other cockerel. I really don't think they will successfully mate, but it's funny to see her chase off another hen, so Omen will mate her instead😂
I love spunky attitudes that's good that she stands her own. I have 1 hen that is the opposite and refuses to let my rooster mate her so he pinpoints her all the time but he never manages to get the job done she is too fast for him. 😂

I love spunky attitudes that's good that she stands her own. I have 1 hen that is the opposite and refuses to let my rooster mate her so he pinpoints her all the time but he never manages to get the job done she is too fast for him. 😂
Our RIR, Ruth, was like that😂 Now she will occasionally allow our lead cockerel, Omen, to mate her, but very rarely, and only on her terms!😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom