Broody Hens.

1ADAM12

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2016
Tioga, PA
Ok so I am new to chickens. We have raised 4 pullets from Tractor Supply and two of the four started laying yesterday. They are not my problem.

I purchased 6 bantams from a co-worker and about a month ago one got broody. Now there are three broody hens. I kick them off the nesting box everyday before work and once I get home. I also have tried dunking them in cold water for the last week everyday. They are still broody.

Yesterday I lock the three broody hens out of the coop all day and they are still broody when I get home from work and let the rest of the flock out.

What should I try next? Isolate them in a dog crate and give them a time out for a few days? I am at a loss here and need advice.

Thanks,
Adam

wink.png
You should try the broody breaker raised cage method-- away from the coop.
No flooring, just hardware cloth on the bottom. Think "rabbit hutch". Make sure it's shaded on top and they have food and water.
This allows air to circulate under the bird which will cool her breast and belly.
Some broody girls only take a few days to break using this method.
Some take longer.

Start at the 3 day mark and allow her back into the coop.
If you see her go straight back to her nest box, she's not ready and may require a few more days of broody breaking.
Just be patient-- it will happen. And no "real kicking" hens out of the nests!

Hahahaha yes no kicking. They are like our pets. When I pick them up and carry them off the boxes they use to peck at me. Now they scream and let me pick them up no pecking lol. Thanks for the idea. I will try it.

;) You should try the broody breaker raised cage method-- away from the coop.
No flooring, just hardware cloth on the bottom. Think "rabbit hutch". Make sure it's shaded on top and they have food and water.
This allows air to circulate under the bird which will cool her breast and belly.
Some broody girls only take a few days to break using this method.
Some take longer.

If only it was that easy when the number of chickens grow...

I don't believe Brown Leghorns go broody and they are good egg layers plus they are pretty birds and fun to have around.
1f60a.png

It is not 100% sure that a certain breed won't go broody. The hybrids from hatcheries are better at not getting broody but still there are some that do.

Back
Top Bottom