Broody hens

Coon Cotten

Songster
Jun 19, 2019
Dayton, Texas
Hello everyone I have 2 chickens that I Believe we’re going broody. A sapphire gem and a cuckoo Maran. I was wondering if anyone had problems with them not staying on the nest till the hatching and are they good mothers? I’ve read that the sapphire won’t breed true. Thank you

I haven't had either breed, but I had a large fowl silkie and japanese bantam recently fight over 3 eggs and one got cracked a week before hatch date. I sealed it up and it successfully hatched after a couple of days of trying, but it did need help because the membrane was thick and dry from the crack. I ended up separating the momma so the eggs would be safe.

I haven't had either breed, but I had a large fowl silkie and japanese bantam recently fight over 3 eggs and one got cracked a week before hatch date. I sealed it up and it successfully hatched after a couple of days of trying, but it did need help because the membrane was thick and dry from the crack. I ended up separating the momma so the eggs would be safe.
Love your rooster. He is a beauty. The sapphire gem laid an egg a bit ago. And she got off nest. I’ve decided not to put real eggs under either of them yet. They have fake eggs for now. They are both in their broody pens. I’m new to chicken cares and am so thankful for this sight.

Love your rooster. He is a beauty. The sapphire gem laid an egg a bit ago. And she got off nest. I’ve decided not to put real eggs under either of them yet. They have fake eggs for now. They are both in their broody pens. I’m new to chicken cares and am so thankful for this sight.
Thanks! He is pet quality and long legged, but adorable. My three new babies are his. His hen laid about 20 eggs before going broody. I had just happened to save 2 of them from the 2 days prior. Once she sat on the nest the whole day, she never came off again. She laid one last egg the day she decided to sit all the way through the night, so if I hadn't saved a few, I would have been out of luck.

Thanks! He is pet quality and long legged, but adorable. My three new babies are his. His hen laid about 20 eggs before going broody. I had just happened to save 2 of them from the 2 days prior. Once she sat on the nest the whole day, she never came off again. She laid one last egg the day she decided to sit all the way through the night, so if I hadn't saved a few, I would have been out of luck.
Thank you for that information. I only have 12 hens today I only got 11 that including hers . The other chicken never laid today. I’m saving today’s eggs and tomorrow’s for them if the act like they have been for past 2 days. I’ve got their pens all ready and went to town pick up chick starter for them also. Im hoping they will hatch some chicks but right now I’m uncertain if they are serious or just playing around lol

Here they are! I can't believe anything could be that cute!

Attachments

• IMG_20190902_143706_946.jpg
    IMG_20190902_143706_946.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190902_143706_943.jpg
    IMG_20190902_143706_943.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 10
Thank you for that information. I only have 12 hens today I only got 11 that including hers . The other chicken never laid today. I’m saving today’s eggs and tomorrow’s for them if the act like they have been for past 2 days. I’ve got their pens all ready and went to town pick up chick starter for them also. Im hoping they will hatch some chicks but right now I’m uncertain if they are serious or just playing around lol
Supposedly, you can keep them for a couple of weeks before putting them under the hen. After a while viability goes down. There are threads on how to keep them. I think they say to keep them in a cool place...like a basement, not the fridge...rotate a few times a day and store with small end down..
I wasn't sure exactly what that meant. I just kept them on the counter in a carton with small end down and tilted them a few times a day to a different side because it was only for a couple of days. I probably didn't do it exactly right, but 3 out of 3 hatched.

Supposedly, you can keep them for a couple of weeks before putting them under the hen. After a while viability goes down. There are threads on how to keep them. I think they say to keep them in a cool place...like a basement, not the fridge...rotate a few times a day and store with small end down..
I wasn't sure exactly what that meant. I just kept them on the counter in a carton with small end down and tilted them a few times a day to a different side because it was only for a couple of days. I probably didn't do it exactly right, but 3 out of 3 hatched.
It’s dark now I went out and checked them one is in nest. The other is perched on side of nest. I have milk crates with fronts cut out. She has been in nest all day, but she will not except another nest. I had tried to move her earlier in the day but she went crazy any so I just let her go and she ran back to the nesting box she’s been in for 2 days. I think I will just leave her shut up a couple of days see what happens maybe she will change her mind.

I tried to move mine to a cage in the coop in the daytime and she did the same thing...freaked out! Then I moved her to a crate in the run at night. She sat on the eggs all night, but freaked out when the other birds were let into the run in the morning. I think her flocking instinct took over and she wanted to be with them. I put her eggs back in the coop and she sat on them there for the rest of the day. That night I put her and her eggs in the crate in the garage where she couldn't see the other birds and that fixed the problem. She sat contentedly the next few days until hatch. She is still in the garage with her chicks. I was hoping to leave her in sight of the other birds so that reintegration would be easier, but it didn't work.

Back
Top Bottom